An analytical model for designing yard layouts of a straddle carrier based container terminal
- 517 Downloads
In designing a yard layout for a container terminal several decisions have to be made. In this paper we propose a model which provides decision support for the design of yard layouts of terminals at which straddle carrier are used. We assume that straddle carriers are used for the horizontal transport and the stacking of containers. For the proposed model we develop estimates for the expected cycle distances of straddle carriers. In this case, we distinguish between cycles to landside facilities and to the quay. Numerical results are presented for several parameter settings. For instance, we present results for a comparison of layouts where the rows in the block are orientated parallel with layouts where the rows are orientated perpendicularly to the quay.
KeywordsContainer terminal Yard layout Straddle carrier
The authors would like to thank the anonymous referees for their useful comments on an earlier version of the paper.
- Böse J, Reiners T, Steenken D, Voß S (2000) Vehicle dispatching at seaport container terminals using evolutionary algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 33rd annual Hawaii international conference on system sciences, vol 2, pp 1–10Google Scholar
- Brinkmann B (2005) Seehäfen Planung und Entwurf. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- HHLA (2009) Respectable results despite serious economic crisis. http://www.hhla.de/News-Detail.269.0.html?&no_cache=1&L=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=563. Accessed 03.11.2009
- Muckelberg E (2009) Hafen Hamburg sieht Krise als Chance. Logistik für Unternehmen 10:24–33Google Scholar
- Petering MEH (2008) Parallel versus perpendicular yard layouts for seaport container transshipment terminals: an extensive simulation analysis. In: Proceedings of the international trade and freight transportation conference, Ayia Napa, Cyprus, pp 117–127Google Scholar
- Saanen Y (2009) Positive conditions for investing during the economic downturn. http://www.porttechnology.org/_4390.1.positive-conditions-for-investing-during-the-economic-downturn. Accessed 06.08.2009
- UNCTAD (2007) Review of maritime transport 2007. UNCTAD, United Nations Publication. UNCTAD/RMT/2007. http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/rmt2007_en.pdf. Accessed 14.04.2010
- UNCTAD (2008) Review of maritime transport 2008. UNCTAD, United Nations Publication. UNCTAD/RMT/2008. http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/rmt2008_en.pdf. Accessed 14.04.2010
- Watanabe I (2006) Container terminal planning—a theoretical approach. WoldCargo News, LeatherheadGoogle Scholar
- Wiese J, Kliewer N, Suhl L (2009) A survey of container terminal characteristics and equipment types. Technical report 0901, DS&OR Lab, University of Paderborn. http://dsor.upb.de/uploads/tx_dsorpublications/DSOR_WP_0901.pdf