Characterization of a low-density lipoprotein receptor, Lrp13, in Chinese tongue sole (Cynoglossus semilaevis) and medaka (Oryzias latipes)
As an important economic marine species cultured in China, Chinese tongue sole (Cynoglossus semilaevis) has interested us due to its sexual dimorphism and ZW/ZZ sex determination system. In a previous study, dmrt1 was identified as a dosage-dependent male-determining gene. In the present study, a female-specific expressed gene, cse0440, initially annotated as lrp1b-like, was identified from chromosome W of C. semilaevis. In view of the differences between cse0440 and lrp1b in terms of expression pattern, a phylogenetic analysis containing 85 LRP proteins was constructed and provided an evidence to re-annotate cse0440 as cseLRP13. In addition, two orthologues of cseLRP13 were separately identified from W and Z chromosomes: cseLRP13-W and cseLRP13-Z. The subsequent multiple sequence alignment and syntenic arrangements of LRP13 in C. semilaevis, Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes), large yellow croaker (Larimichthys crocea), striped bass (Morone saxatilis), white perch (Morone americana) and Fugu rubripes (Takifugu rubripes) further supported this re-annotation. RT-PCR and in situ hybridization revealed that cselrp13 was exclusively expressed in the oocytes and follicles of ovaries. These results suggested that lrp13 may play important roles in female reproduction. In future, with the advancement of micromanipulation in flatfish, the detailed function of two lrp13 orthologues in C. semilaevis will be elucidated.
KeywordsChinese tongue sole (Cynoglossus semilaevis) cse0440 Low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 13 (LRP13) Medaka (Oryzias latipes)
This work was supported by grants from the Central Public-interest Scientific Institution Basal Research Fund CAFS (NO. 2016GH03), Central Public-interest Scientific Institution Basal Research Fund, YSFRI, CAFS (NO. 20603022016004), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31530078, 31472273) and the Taishan Scholar Project of Shandong Province.
NW and SLC conceived and designed the experiments, while NW and QMH verified the sequences of cseLRP13 and olaLRP13 by PCR experiments. RQW conducted RT-PCR. YZ and FY participated in the experiment of in situ hybridization. NW and RQW analysed the data and wrote the paper. WTX provided valuable suggestions regarding paper organization and language fluency. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
The collection and handling of the animals used in this study were approved by the Animal Care and Use Committee at the Chinese Academy of Fishery Sciences, and all the experimental procedures were performed in accordance with the guidelines for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals at the Chinese Academy of Fishery Sciences.
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Chen S, Zhang G, Shao C, Huang Q, Liu G, Zhang P, Song W, An N, Chalopin D, Volff JN, Hong Y, Li Q, Sha Z, Zhou H, Xie M, Yu Q, Liu Y, Xiang H, Wang N, Wu K, Yang C, Zhou Q, Liao X, Yang L, Hu Q, Zhang J, Meng L, Jin L, Tian Y, Lian J, Yang J, Miao G, Liu S, Liang Z, Yan F, Li Y, Sun B, Zhang H, Zhang J, Zhu Y, Du M, Zhao Y, Schartl M, Tang Q, Wang J (2014) Whole-genome sequence of a flatfish provides insights into ZW sex chromosome evolution and adaptation to a benthic lifestyle. Nat Genet 46(3):253–260CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liu CX, Li Y, Obermoeller-McCormick LM, Schwartz AL, Bu G (2001) The putative tumor suppressor LRP1B, a novel member of the low density lipoprotein (LDL) receptor family, exhibits both overlapping and distinct properties with the LDL receptor-related protein. J Biol Chem 276(31):28889–28896CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mushirobira Y, Mizuta H, Luo W, Todo T, Hara A, Reading BJ, Sullivan CV, Hiramatsu N (2015) Molecular cloning and partial characterization of a low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 13 (Lrp13) involved in vitellogenin uptake in the cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki). Mol Reprod Dev 82(12):986–1000CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Reading BJ, Hiramatsu N, Schilling J, Molloy KT, Glassbrook N, Mizuta H, Luo W, Baltzegar DA, Williams VN, Todo T, Hara A, Sullivan CV (2014) Lrp13 is a novel vertebrate lipoprotein receptor that binds vitellogenins in teleost fishes. J Lipid Res 55(11):2287–2295CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Song W, Li Y, Zhao Y, Liu Y, Niu Y, Pang R, Miao G, Liao X, Shao C, Gao F, Chen S (2012) Construction of a high-density microsatellite genetic linkage map and mapping of sexual and growth-related traits in half-smooth tongue sole (Cynoglossus semilaevis). PLoS One 7(12):e52097CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sonoda I, Imoto I, Inoue J, Shibata T, Shimada Y, Chin K, Imamura M, Amagasa T, Gray JW, Hirohashi S, Inazawa J (2004) Frequent silencing of low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1B (LRP1B) expression by genetic and epigenetic mechanisms in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res 64(11):3741–3747CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhou LQ, Yang AG, Liu XZ, Du W, Zhuang ZM (2005) The karyotype of the tongue fish Cynoglossus semilaevis. J Fish Sci China 3:417–419Google Scholar