Legitimate Compassion or Compassionate Legitimation? Reflections on the Policy for Prosecutors in Respect of Cases of Encouraging or Assisting Suicide
- 712 Downloads
This commentary explores the background to, and implications of, the recently published Director of Public Prosecutions guidelines for prosecutors in respect of cases of encouraging or assisting suicide. It considers the extent of the provisions and questions the legitimacy of their focus on the compassionate motivation of the assistant, and the apparent prohibition on healthcare professionals providing such help. It concludes by suggesting that a permissive change in the law would provide better safeguards for those who seek assisted dying.
KeywordsAssisted suicide DPP Purdy Compassion
- BBC. 2008. Mother defends rugby suicide son. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/7677706.stm. Accessed 1 Oct 2010.
- Brown, David. 2008. Rugby Star Dan James in ‘Assisted Suicide’ after Training Injury. The Times, 18 October 2008. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article4962436.ece. Accessed 1 Oct 2010.
- Carter, Helen. 2002. Millionaire’s rat poison suicide closes A&E unit. The Guardian 11 October 2002. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2002/oct/11/health.healthandwellbeing. Accessed 13 Oct 2010.
- Coggon, John. 2008. Assisting ‘death tourism’: Possible prosecution or pragmatic immunity? http://www.ccels.cf.ac.uk/archives/issues/2008/coggon.pdf. Accessed 1 Nov 2010.
- CPS. 2008. Decision on prosecution: Death by suicide of Daniel James. London: UK Gov. http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/articles/death_by_suicide_of_daniel_james/. Accessed 21 Nov 2010.
- CPS. 2009. Interim policy for prosecutors in respect of cases of assisted suicide. UK Gov. http://www.cps.gov.uk. Accessed 13 Oct 2010.
- CPS. 2010a. Policy for prosecutors in respect of cases of encouraging or assisting suicide. London: UK Gov. http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/prosecution/assisted_suicide_policy.html. Accessed 21 Nov 2010.
- CPS. 2010b. Public consultation exercise on the interim policy, Annex B––Equality and Diversity Impact Assessment, para. 25. http://www.cps.gov.uk. Accessed 1 Oct 2010.
- Gammell, C. 2010. Mother Kay Gilderdale found not guilty of murder attempt on ME sufferer daughter. The Telegraph, Accessed 25 Jan 2010.Google Scholar
- Horder, Jeremy. 2000. On the irrelevance of motive in the criminal law. In Oxford Essays in Jurisprudence, ed. Jeremy Horder, 171–195. Oxford: OUP.Google Scholar
- Joffe Joel. 2008. Debbie Purdy deserves a less terrible choice. The Times, Accessed 30 Oct 2008.Google Scholar
- Lindsell case. (unreported) The Times, Accessed 29 Oct 1997.Google Scholar
- MDU. 2010. MDU’s concerns over CPS’s new policy on assisted suicide. Press release. 25 February 2010. http://www.the-mdu.com/section_gps_and_primary_care_professionals/topnav_News_3/hidden_Article.asp?articleID=2143&contentType=Media+release&articleTitle=MDU%26%23039%3Bs+concerns+over+CPS%26%23039%3Bs+new+assisted+suicide+policy. Accessed 23 Nov 2010.
- Pretty v UK. 2000. ECtHR 1.Google Scholar
- R (on the application of Purdy) v DPP. 2008. EWHC 25655.Google Scholar
- R (on the application of Purdy) v DPP. 2009. UKHL 45.Google Scholar
- R v Gilderdale. 2010. (unreported).Google Scholar
- R v Inglis. 2010. EWCA Crim. 2637.Google Scholar
- Re Karen Quinlan 355 A 2d 644 (NJ, 1976).Google Scholar
- Re Z (an adult: capacity). 2004. EWHC 2817 (Fam).Google Scholar
- Rodriguez v British Columbia (A-G). 1993. 3 SCR 519.Google Scholar