Generalized Pickands constants and stationary max-stable processes
- 84 Downloads
Pickands constants play a crucial role in the asymptotic theory of Gaussian processes. They are commonly defined as the limits of a sequence of expectations involving fractional Brownian motions and, as such, their exact value is often unknown. Recently, Dieker and Yakir (Bernoulli, 20(3), 1600–1619, 2014) derived a novel representation of Pickands constant as a simple expected value that does not involve a limit operation. In this paper we show that the notion of Pickands constants and their corresponding Dieker–Yakir representations can be extended to a large class of stochastic processes, including general Gaussian and Lévy processes. We furthermore develop a link to extreme value theory and show that Pickands-type constants coincide with certain constants arising in the study of max-stable processes with mixed moving maxima representations.
KeywordsBrown–Resnick process Fractional Brownian motion Gaussian process Generalized Pickands constant Lévy process Max-stable process Mixed moving maxima representation
AMS 2000 Subject Classifications60G15 60G70
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We are grateful to three anonymous referees, Thomas Mikosch and Ilya Molchanov for numerous important suggestions. In particular, the new M3 representation (??) was suggested by one of the referees. Financial support by the Swiss National Science Foundation grants 200021-166274 (EH) and 161297 (SE), and partial support by NCN Grant No 2015/17/B/ST1/01102 (2016-2019) (KD) is gratefully acknowledged.
- Aldous, D.: Probability Approximations via the Poisson Clumping Heuristic, Volume 77 of Applied Mathematical Sciences. Springer, New York (1989). ISBN 0-387-96899-7. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4757-6283-9
- Asmussen, S., Albrecher, H.: Ruin Probabilities, vol. 14. World Scientific (2010)Google Scholar
- Berman, S.M.: Sojourns and extremes of stochastic processes. The Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole Statistics/Probability Series. Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole Advanced Books & Software, Pacific Grove CA (1992)Google Scholar
- Dȩbicki, K., Mandjes, M.: Queues and Lévy Fluctuation Theory. Springer (2015)Google Scholar
- Delorme, M., Rosso, A., Wiese, K.J.: Pickands’ Constant at First Order in an Expansion Around Brownian Motion. arXiv:1609.07909[cond-mat.stat-mech] (2016)
- Dombry, C., Kabluchko, Z.: Ergodic decompositions of stationary max-stable processes in terms of their spectral functions. arXiv:1601.00792[math.PR] (2016)
- Engelke, S., Ivanovs, J.: A Lévy-derived process seen from its supremum and max-stable processes. Electron. J. Probab., 21 (2016)Google Scholar
- Harper, A.J.: Pickands’ constant h α does not equal 1/γ(1/α), for small α. Bernoulli accepted (2015)Google Scholar
- Leadbetter, M.R., Lindgren, G., Rootzén, H.: Extremes and Related Properties of Random Sequences and Processes, vol. 11. Springer (1983)Google Scholar
- Michna, Z.: Remarks on Pickands Constant. arXiv:0904.3832 (2009)
- Stoev, S.A.: Max-stable processes: representations, ergodic properties and statistical applications. In: Doukhan, P., Lang, G., Surgailis, D., Teyssiere, G. (eds.) Dependence in Probability and Statistics, Lecture Notes in Statistics 200, vol. 200, pp 21–42 (2010)Google Scholar
- Wang, Y.: Extremes of q-Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Processes. arXiv:1609.00338 (2016)