Scanning sky monitor (SSM) onboard AstroSat
- 183 Downloads
Scanning Sky Monitor (SSM) onboard AstroSat is an Xray sky monitor in the soft X-ray band designed with a large field of view to detect and locate transient X-ray sources and alert the astronomical community about interesting phenomena in the X-ray sky. SSM comprises position sensitive proportional counters with 1D coded mask for imaging. There are three detector units mounted on a platform capable of rotation which helps covering about 50% of the sky in one full rotation. This paper discusses the elaborate details of the instrument and few immediate results from the instrument after launch.
KeywordsProportional counter Position sensitive X-ray detector Sky monitor X-ray sky Coded-mask Electronics X-ray transient
SSM team acknowledges Director, ISAC for the constant support for delivery of this payload followed by the successful launch of AstroSat. The team also acknowledges various entities at ISAC who have contributed their part in successful completion of various processes and procedures towards delivery of the payload.
- 8.Singh, K.P., Tandon, S.N., Agrawal, P.C., Antia, H.M., Manchanda, R.K., Yadav, J.S., Seetha, S., Ramadevi, M.C., Rao, A.R., Bhattacharya, D., et al.: ASTROSAT Mission. In: Proceedings of SPIE 2014, vol. 91442T, 9144–100 (2014). doi: 10.1117/12.2062667
- 12.Zand, J.: init, PhD Thesis, University of Utrecht, Netherlands (1992)Google Scholar
- 13.Bhattacharya, D., Ravi Shankar, B.T.: Imaging with the scanning sky monitor on AstroSat. BASI 30, 833–834 (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Balaji, K., Narendra, S., Nagesh, G., Sridharamurthy, V., Bhat, N.C.: Development of mechanisms for AstroSat. In: Proceedings of the 5th National Seminar & Exhibition on Aerospace and Related Mechanisms, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore, November 18-19, ARMS-05-MSA-02, pp. 67–73 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Balaji, K., Nagesh, G., Nataraju, B.S., Lakshminarayana, B.: Dynamics of payload release mechanism. In: Proceedings of the 6th National Seminar & Exhibition on Aerospace and Related Mechanisms (ARMS2008), Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE), Pashan, Pune, March 28-29, ED/P/20, pp. 333–337 (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.Ramadevi, M.C., Ravishankar, B.T., Nandi, A., Girish, V., Singh, B., Jain, A., Agrawal, V.K., Agarwal, A., Bhattacharya, D., Seetha, S., et al.: Detection of beta-class variability in Black Hole source GRS 1915+105 by AstroSat Sacnning Sky Monitor Astronomer’s Telegram ATel #8185 (2015)Google Scholar