Mapping distortion of detectors in UVIT onboard AstroSat observatory
- 209 Downloads
Ultraviolet Imaging Telescope (UVIT) is one of the payloads onboard AstroSat, India’s first multi-wavelength Astronomy mission. UVIT is primarily designed to make high resolution images in wide field, in three wavelength channels simultaneously: FUV (130–180 nm), NUV (200–300 nm) and VIS (320–550 nm). The intensified imagers used in UVIT suffer from distortions, and a correction is necessary for these to achieve good astrometry. In this article we describe the methodology and calculations used to estimate the distortions in ground calibrations.
KeywordsDistortions UV telescope and instrumentation UV imaging Distortion map
The authors would like to thank University of Calgary for providing the grid, IUCAA for providing the IFOSC images of mask/grid, staff of MGKM laboratory for support for IIA images taken with the CPUs and collegues of UVIT instrumentation team for all the necessary help. VG would like to thank Dr Annadurai, Director, ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC) and Dr Anil Aggrawal, Group Director, SAG, ISAC and Dr Sreekumar, Director, IIA (former GD, SAG, ISAC) for all their encouragement and support.
- 3.Kumar, A., Ghosh, S.K., et al.: Tests and calibration on ultra violet imaging telescope (UVIT). Proc. SPIE, 8443 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Annapurni, S., Tandon, S.N., et al.: A hot companion to a blue straggler in NGC188 as revealed by the ultra-violet imaging telescope (UVIT) on ASTROSAT (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.GALEX: Summary of changes for GALEX ops7 pipeline (2010). http://www.galex.caltech.edu/researcher/gr6_docs/GI_Doc_Ops7_19mar2010.pdf
- 6.Girish, V., et al.: Verification of distortion of detectors in UVIT onboard Astrosat observatory using onboard data, In preparation (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Jones, E., Oliphant, E., Peterson, P., et al.: Scipy: Open source scientific tools for python (2001). http://www.scipy.org/
- 8.Landsman, W.B.: The IDL astronomy user’s library, A.S.P. Conference Series. In: Hanisch, R. J, Brissenden, R. J. V., Barnes, J. (eds.) Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems II, vol. 52, p 246 (1993)Google Scholar
- 10.Ramadevi, M.C., et al.: Early in-orbit performance of Scanning Sky Monitor onboard AstroSat, submitted to Journal of Astrophysics & Astronomy (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Singh, K.P., Tandon, S., et al.: AstroSat Mission. Proc. SPIE, 9144 (2014)Google Scholar