Do short-term laboratory experiments provide valid descriptions of long-term economic interactions? A study of Cournot markets
- 709 Downloads
One key problem regarding the external validity of laboratory experiments is their duration: while economic interactions out in the field are often lengthy processes, typical lab experiments only last for an hour or two. To address this problem for the case of both symmetric and asymmetric Cournot duopoly, we conduct internet treatments lasting more than a month. Subjects make the same number of decisions as in the short-term counterparts, but they decide once a day. We compare these treatments to corresponding standard laboratory treatments and also to short-term internet treatments lasting one hour. We do not observe differences in behavior between the short- and long-term in the symmetric treatments, and only a small difference in the asymmetric treatments. We overall conclude that behavior is not considerably different between the short- and long-term.
KeywordsInternet experiment Cournot oligopoly Long-term interactions Methodology Internet vs. laboratory experiment
JEL ClassificationL13 C93 C72 D43 D21
- Camerer, C. F. (2011). The promise and success of lab-field generalizability in experimental economics: a critical reply to Levitt and List. Available at SSRN. doi: 10.2139/ssrn.1977749.
- Hergueux, J., & Jacquemet, N. (2012). Social preferences in the online laboratory: a randomized experiment. CES working papers 2012.70. Google Scholar
- Loewenstein, G., & Schkade, D. (1999). Wouldn’t it be nice? Predicting future feelings. In D. Kahneman, E. Diener, & N. Schwarz (Eds.), Well being: the foundations of hedonic psychology (pp. 85–105). New York: Russell Sage Foundation. Google Scholar
- Oechssler, J., Roider, A., & Schmitz, P. (2008). Cooling-off in negotiations—does it work? Technical report 6807. Google Scholar
- Schmelz, K., & Ziegelmeyer, A. (2012). Hierarchical distance and control aversion: evidence from the Internet and the laboratory. Working paper. Google Scholar