Measuring conditional cooperation: a replication study in Russia
- 633 Downloads
We replicate the strategy-method experiment by Fischbacher et al. (Econ. Lett. 71:397–404, 2001) developed to measure attitudes towards cooperation in a one-shot public goods game. We collected data from 160 students at four different universities across urban and rural Russia. Using the classification proposed by Fischbacher et al. (2001) we find that the distribution of types is very similar across the four locations. The share of conditional cooperators in our Russian subject pools is comparable to the one found by Fischbacher et al. in a Swiss subject pool. However, the distribution of the other types differs from the one found in Switzerland.
KeywordsConditional cooperation Replication Russia
JEL ClassificationH41 C91 C72
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Durkheim, E. (1960). The division of labor in society (4th edn.). New York: Free Press. Google Scholar
- Fischbacher, U., & Gächter, S. (2006). Heterogeneous social preferences and the dynamics of free riding in public good. CeDEx Discussion Paper No. 2006-01, University of Nottingham. Google Scholar
- Gächter, S. (2007). Conditional cooperation. Behavioral regularities from the lab and the field and their policy implications. In B. S. Frey & A. Stutzer (Eds.), Economics and psychology. A promising new cross-disciplinary field. Cambridge: MIT Press. Google Scholar
- Gächter, S., & Thöni, C. (2005). Social learning and voluntary cooperation among like-minded people. Journal of the European Economic Association, 3, 303–314. Google Scholar
- Kocher, M. G., Cherry, T., Kroll, S., Netzer, R. J., & Sutter, M. (2007). Conditional cooperation on three continents. Working Papers, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck. Google Scholar
- Roth, A. E., Prasnikar, V., Okuno-Fujiwara, M., & Zamir, S. (1991). Bargaining and market behavior in Jerusalem, Ljubljana, Pittsburgh, and Tokyo: An experimental study. American Economic Review, 81, 1068–1095. Google Scholar
- Wirth, L. (1964). On cities and social life. In A. J. Reiss (Ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Google Scholar