Screening wheat genotypes for resistance to wheat blast disease in the vegetative and reproductive stages
- 89 Downloads
The wheat blast disease has been considered one of the main biotic stress threats to food security in the world. The study aimed to evaluate the resistance of wheat cultivars to Pyricularia oryzae pathotype triticum isolates at the vegetative and reproductive stage and to perform screening of wheat lines. Experiments were carried out on plants at the vegetative and reproductive stage, with artificial inoculation of P. oryzae pathotype triticum isolates origin from different producing regions. Resistant cultivars at both stages have shown potential to be used as source of resistance in wheat breeding programs; there was no difference in aggressiveness among the P. oryzae pathotype triticum isolates tested. It was possible to identify wheat lines with resistance to the disease at the vegetative stage. Nine wheat lines selected as resistant to wheat blast disease may be incorporated at block-crosses in order to pyramidize genes of resistance to wheat blast in the breeding of new wheat cultivars.
KeywordsTriticum aestivum Isolates Resistance Genetic breeding
The authors appreciate and acknowledge the financial support from the Brazilian Government offered by the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) and by the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES). This study was financed in part by the Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior—Brasil (CAPES)—Finance Code 001.
- Campbell CL, Madden LV (1990) Introduction to plant disease epidemiology. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Coelho MAO (2013) Manejo das principais doenças e pragas na cultura do trigo em regiões tropicais do Brasil. Inf Agropecu 34:60–70Google Scholar
- Comissão Brasileira de Trigo e Triticale, CBTT (2013) Informações técnicas para trigo e triticale—safra 2013. Instituto Agronômico do Paraná, LondrinaGoogle Scholar
- Cruz CD (2013) GENES—a software package for analysis in experimental statistics and quantitative genetics. Acta Sci 35:271–276Google Scholar
- Instituto Agronômico de Campinas, IAC (2018) Cultivares de Trigo lançados de 1999 a 2008, pelo programa de Melhoramento Genético do IAC. http://www.iac.sp.gov.br/areasdepesquisa/graos/trigo.php. Accessed 29 Sept 2018
- Maciel JLN (2011) Magnaporthe oryzae, the blast pathogen: current status and options for its control. CAB Rev Perspect Agric Vet Sci Nutr Nat Resour 6:1–8Google Scholar
- Moresco ER, Albrecht JC, Soares SJ, Cargnin A, Silva MS (2013) Estratégias de melhoramento para o trigo tropical. Inf Agropecu 34:40–43Google Scholar