Characterization and fine mapping of qPE12, a new locus controlling rice panicle exsertion
- 252 Downloads
Panicle exsertion is an important agronomic trait involved in pollination and hybrid rice seed production. The identification of genes controlling panicle exsertion will play a central role in hybrid rice breeding. C115, a chromosome segment substitution line carrying introgression segments of Nipponbare in genetic background of indica variety 9311, had significantly shortened panicle exsertion, uppermost internode length and plant height. Genetic analysis in F2 and F3 populations derived from a cross of C115 and 9311 indicated that the shortened panicle exsertion of C115 was recessive and controlled by a single Medelian factor, and the allele from Nipponbare decreased the phenotypic value. Primary mapping suggested qPE12, the Nipponbare introgression segment locating on the long arm of chromosome 12, was responsible for this phenotypic variation. Based on map-based cloning strategy, fine mapping was carried out with a total of 1130 recessive individuals selected from F2 and F3 populations, delimiting qPE12 to a 190-kb region. This result provides important information for isolation of a new gene controlling panicle exsertion in the future.
KeywordsRice (Oryza sativa L.) Panicle exsertion Uppermost internode elongation Fine mapping
This research was financially supported by the National Natural Sciences Foundation of China (31200144), the Jiangsu Agriculture Science and Technology Innovation Fund (CX5001) the National Key Technology Support Program project (2015BAD01B02) and the key research and development projects of Jiangsu Province(BE2016370).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Avila CA, Arevalo-Soliz LM, Lorence A, Goggin FL (2013) Expression of α-DIOXYGENASE 1 in tomato and Arabidopsis contributes to plant defenses against aphids. Mol Plant 26(8):977–986Google Scholar
- Hong Z, Ueguchi-Tanaka M, Umemura K, Uozu S, Fujioka S, Takatsuto S, Yoshida S, Ashikari M, Kitano H, Matsuoka M (2003) A rice brassinosteroid-deficient mutant, ebisu dwarf (d2), is caused by a loss of function of a new member of cytochrome P450. Plant Cell 15(12):2900–2910CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hong Z, Ueguchi-Tanaka M, Fujioka S, Takatsuto S, Yoshida S, Hasegawa Y, Ashikari M, Kitano H, Matsuoka M (2005) The rice brassinosteroid-deficient dwarf2 mutant, defective in the rice homolog of Arabidopsis DIMINUTO/DWARF1, is rescued by the endogenously accumulated alternative bioactive brassinosteroid, dolichosterone. Plant Cell 17(8):2243–2254CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Li J, Yuan L (2010) Hybrid rice: genetics, breeding, and seed production. Plant Breed Rev 17:15–158Google Scholar
- Ma H (2007) The achievements of rice eui genes in research and utilization. Mol Plant Breed 5:690–694Google Scholar
- Qiao B, Zhu X, Wang Y, Hong D (2008) Mapping QTL for three panicle exsertion-related traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.) under different growing environments. Acta Agron Sin 34:389–396Google Scholar
- Ueguchi-Tanaka M, Fujisawa Y, Kobayashi M, Ashikari M, Iwasaki Y, Kitano H, Matsuoka M (2000) Rice dwarf mutant d1, which is defective in the alpha subunit of the heterotrimeric G protein, affects gibberellin signal transduction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97(21):11638–11643CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhang H, Liu H, Liu Y, Zhang R, Zhong X (2009) Research status and prospect of e-type hybrid rice. J Agric Sci Technol 4:10–15Google Scholar
- Zhang L, Cheng Z, Qin R, Qiu Y, Wang J, Cui X, Gu L, Zhang X, Guo X, Wang D, Jiang L, Wu C, Wang H, Cao X, Wan J (2012a) Identification and characterization of an epi-allele of FIE1 reveals a regulatory linkage between two epigenetic marks in rice. Plant Cell 24:4407–4421CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhao C, Zhou L, Yu X, Zhao Q, Chen T, Yao S, Zhang Y, Zhu Z, Wang C (2012) Identification of tiller angle quantitative trait loci based on chromosome segment substituted lines and high-density physical map in rice. Bull Bot 47(6):594–601Google Scholar
- Zhao C, Chen T, Zhao Q, Zhou L, Zhang Y, Zhu Z, Yao S, Wang C (2016) Analysis of QTLs for panicle exsertion and its relationship with yield and yield-related traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Genet Mol Res 15(2):gmr.15027423Google Scholar
- Zhu Y, Nomura T, Xu Y, Zhang Y, Peng Y, Mao B, Hanada A, Zhou H, Wang R, Li P, Zhu X, Mander LN, Kamiya Y, Yamaguchi S, He Z (2006) ELONGATED UPPERMOST INTERNODE encodes a cytochrome P450 monooxygenase that epoxidizes gibberellins in a novel deactivation reaction in rice. Plant Cell 18:442–456CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar