Genetic mapping of the qGCR6 locus affecting glossiness of cooked rice
- 197 Downloads
A japonica variety, Koshihikari, is known to have favorable eating quality. Two rice backcross inbred lines (BILs) developed from Koshihikari exhibited significantly different glossiness of cooked rice (GCR), an eating quality trait measured using the Toyo-taste meter. Genetic analysis indicated that the genetic composition of these two BILs differed only on the short arm of chromosome 6, which led to the identification of the qGCR6 locus. Through high-resolution genetic mapping, the qGCR6 locus was further delimited to a 43.9 kb chromosomal region containing ten putative genes. The DNA marker SNP2175, which tightly links to qGCR6, was developed and can be used in marker-assisted breeding programs.
KeywordsEating quality Genetic mapping DNA marker Rice
This study was supported by grants from the Tainan District Agricultural Research and Extension Station, Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan, Taiwan.
- Chen RK, Chen CL (2015) Effects of nitrogen fertilization rates on the culm development of rice. Res Bull Tainan Dist Agric Improv Stn 66:24–38Google Scholar
- Chen CS, Chen RK, Chin HH et al (2010) Introgression of three heading date genes, hd1, Hd6, and ehd1, to Oryza sativa L. japonica cv. Koshihikari by marker-assisted selection. Crop Environ Bioinform 7:1–20Google Scholar
- Jan YS, Lin SF (2010) Studies on DNA sequence variation in Waxy gene of rice. Bull DARES 19:19–26Google Scholar
- Juliano BO, Onate LU, Mundo AM (1965) Relation of starch composition, protein content, and gelatinization temperature to cooking and eating qualities of milled rice. Food Technol 19:1006–1011Google Scholar
- Kipreos ET, Pagano M (2000) The F-box protein family. Genome Biol 1(5):Reviews 3002Google Scholar
- R Core Team (2013) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R foundation for statistical computing, Vienna, Austria. http://www.R-project.org/
- Sabouri A, Rabiei B, Toorchi M et al (2012) Mapping quantitative trait loci (QTL) associated with cooking quality in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Aust J Crop Sci 6:808–814Google Scholar