Construction of an integrated microsatellite and key morphological characteristic database of potato varieties on the EU common catalogue
- 366 Downloads
The European Union Common Catalogue (EUCC) for potato contains over 1000 varieties. Each year member states add varieties to the list after they have undergone Distinctness, Uniformity and Stability (DUS) testing according to international guidelines. A rapid and robust method for variety identification to aid the management and maintenance of existing variety collections and for the screening of new candidate varieties would therefore be a highly useful tool for DUS testing stations. A database containing key morphological characteristics and microsatellite data was constructed for varieties on the 2006 list of the EUCC for potato. Rules for scoring SSR markers in different laboratories were established to allow a harmonized scoring of markers. Almost all varieties (99.5%) were shown to have unique molecular profiles and in pair wise comparisons 99.99% of all variety pairs could be distinguished. This clearly shows the versatility of the markers and database for identifying potato samples.
KeywordsPotato variety identification SSR Simple sequence repeat European common catalogue
Funding of this project was provided by the CPVO, The Dutch Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality (NL), Naktuinbouw (NL), SASA (UK), the Bundessortenamt (DE) and COBORU (PL).
- Anon (2004) Guidelines for the conduct of tests for distinctness, uniformity and stability. UPOV guideline TG/23/6. http://www.upov.int/en/publications/tg_rom/tg_index.html. Accessed Aug 2010
- Bredemeijer GMM, Cooke RJ, Ganal MW, Peeters R, Isaac P, Noordijk Y, Rendell S, Jackson J, Röder MS, Wendehake K, Dijcks M, Amelaine M, Wickaert R, Bertrand L, Vosman B (2002) Construction and testing of a microsatellite database containing more than 500 tomato varieties. Theor Appl Genet 105:1019–1026PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (2008) http://www.potato2008.org/en/world/index.html. Accessed Aug 2010
- Hils U, Pieterse L (2007) World catalogue of potato varieties 2007. Agrimedia, ClenzeGoogle Scholar
- Hutten RCB, van Berloo R (2001) An online potato pedigree database. http://www.plantbreeding.wur.nl/potatopedigree/. Accessed Aug 2010
- Jones CJ, Edwards KJ, Castiglione S, Winfield MO, Sala F, Van de Wiel C, Bredemeijer G, Vosman B, Matthes M, Daly A, Brettschneider R, Bettini P, Buiatti M, Maestri E, Malcevschi A, Marmiroli N, Aert R, Volckaert G, Rueda J, Linacero R, Vazquez A, Karp A (1997) Reproducibility testing of RAPD, AFLP and SSR markers in plants by a network of European laboratories. Mol Breed 3:381–390CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Reid A, Hof L, Esselink D, Vosman B (2008) Potato cultivar genome analysis. In: Burn R (ed) Plant pathology––techniques and protocols. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar