Introducing and Developing Professional Standards in the Information Systems Curriculum
- 108 Downloads
In light of growing concerns in the public and recent mandates from business program accrediting bodies and curricular task forces, the importance of teaching ethical topics in information systems programs is discussed. Innovative strategies used for teaching the application of ethical criteria to common situations are reviewed. Results of a survey of information systems faculty members in the US are presented and are compared to previous studies that related primarily to computer science and software engineering programs. Insight is provided into the topics, techniques, degree of coverage, and assessment techniques currently used when teaching ethics in computing-related programs. Key concerns and future work is also outlined.
Keywordscase studies codes of ethics curriculum ethics information systems role play teaching methods
American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business
Association for Computer Machinery
Association for Information Systems
Association of Information Technology Professionals
Computer Information Systems
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Management Information Systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baase, S 2002A Gift of Fire2Prentice HallNew JerseyGoogle Scholar
- K. Bowyer. Ethics and Computing, Living Responsibly in a Computerized World, IEEE Press. 2001.Google Scholar
- Computing Curricula Software Engineering (CCSE), 2001. The Software Engineering volume of CC2001, available at http://www.computer.org/education/cc2001/final/index.htm downloaded April 30, 2004.Google Scholar
- IEEE. IEEE Code of Ethics, Available http://www.ieee.org/portal/index.jsp?pageID=corp_level1 &path=about/whatis&file=code.xmls=generic.xsl downloaded January 8, 2004.Google Scholar
- Software Engineering Code, 2002. Software Engineering Code of Ethics and Professional Practice, Version 5.2. Available http://www.computer.org/tab/seprof/code.htm downloaded January 8, 2004.
- E. Towell., Teaching Ethics in the Software Engineering Curriculum, Proceedings of the Sixteenth Conference on Software Engineering Education & Training, Madrid, Spain, 2003.Google Scholar
- E. Towell and T.J. Barrie. A Further Exploration of Teaching Ethics in the Software Engineering Curriculum, Proceedings of the Seventeenth Conference on Software Engineering Education & Training, Norfolk, VA, 2004.Google Scholar