Iñigo González-Ricoy and Axel Gosseries (eds.): Institutions for Future Generations
- 53 Downloads
This excellent collection of essays is devoted to the diagnosis and especially therapy of what is widely considered a flaw of current Western democracies: short-termism—i.e., the prioritization of present over future benefits. Short-termism threatens to result in political decisions and institutionally caused outcomes that fail in terms of intergenerational justice; for example, by not effectively counteracting climate change and by incurring public debts. The bulk of the book consists of a variety of proposals for institutional changes that aim at more future-oriented institutions and policy-making.
The book begins with two introductory chapters, one written by Iñigo González-Ricoy and Axel Gosseries, the other by Michael K. MacKenzie. Part two addresses general tools and issues. Here, Nicholas Vrousalis provides a primer on intergenerational justice (ch. 3), Stéphane Zuber explores measures that aim at assessing intergenerational fairness (ch. 4), Anja Karnein examines the problems...
For very helpful comments on an earlier draft I am grateful to Maya Feldman and Fabian Wendt. I also wish to thank Bernward Gesang and Sebastian Köhler for their feedback.
- Dobson, A. (1996). Representative democracy and the environment. In W. M. Lafferty & J. Meadowcroft (Eds.), Democracy and the environment: Problems and prospects (pp. 124–139). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Kavka, G., & Warren, V. (1983). Political representation of future generations. In R. Elliot & A. Gare (Eds.), Environmental philosophy: A collection of readings (pp. 21–39). Brisbane: University of Queensland Press.Google Scholar
- Mill, J. S. (1861). Considerations of representative government. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books.Google Scholar
- Parfit, D. (1984). Reasons and persons. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Tännsjö, T. (2007). Future people, the all affected principle, and the limits of the aggregation model of democracy. In T. Rønnow-Rasmussen, B. Petersson, J. Josefsson, & D. Egonsson (Eds.), Hommage à Wlodek. Philosophical Papers Dedicated to Wlodek Rabinowicz. Lund: Department of Philosophy, Lund University.Google Scholar