Is There a Space of Sensory Modalities?
- First Online:
Two proposals have recently, and independently, been made about a space of possible sensory modalities. In this paper I examine these different proposals, and offer one of my own. I suggest that there are several spaces associated with distinct kinds of sensory modality.
- Clark, A. (1993). Sensory qualities. Oxford: Clarendon.Google Scholar
- Grice, P. (1962). Some remarks about the senses. In R. J. Butler (Ed.), Analytical philosophy (pp. 133–153). Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Macpherson, F. (2011b). Introduction: Individuating the senses. In F. Macpherson (Ed.), The senses: Classic and contemporary philosophical perspectives. Oxford: OUP.Google Scholar
- Macpherson, F. (forthcoming) The space of sensory modalities. In D. Stokes, S. Biggs & M. Matthen (Eds.), Perception and its modalities. Oxford: OUP.Google Scholar
- Schwab, I. (2011). Evolution’s witness: How eyes evolved. New York: OUP.Google Scholar