In this paper I consider whether there is a measure of coherence that could be rightly claimed to generalize the notion of logical equivalence. I show that Fitelson’s (2003) proposal to that effect encounters some serious difficulties. Furthermore, there is reason to believe that no mutual-support measure could ever be suitable for the formalization of coherence as generalized logical equivalence. Instead, it appears that the only plausible candidate for such a measure is one of relative overlap. The measure I propose in this paper is quite similar to Olsson’s (2002) proposal but differs from it by not being susceptible to the type of counterexample that Bovens and Hartmann (2003) have devised against it.
KeywordsLogical Equivalence Plausible Candidate Generalize Logical Generalize Logical Equivalence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BonJour, L. 1985The Structure of Empirical KnowledgeHarvard University PressCambridge, MAGoogle Scholar
- Bovens, L., Hartmann, S. 2003Bayesian EpistemologyOxford University PressOxfordGoogle Scholar
- Carnap, R. 1962The Logical Foundations of Probability2University of Chicago PressChicagoGoogle Scholar
- Douven, I. and W. Meijs: 2006a, ‘Measuring Coherence’, Synthese, in press.Google Scholar
- Douven, I. and W. Meijs: 2006b, ‘Bootstrap Confirmation Made Quantitative’, Synthese, in press.Google Scholar
- Fitelson, B.: 2004, ‘Probabilistic Coherence from a Logical Point of View,’ Presentation at the London School of Economics, June 2004, see http://www.fitelson.org/research.htm.
- Fitelson, B.: 2006a. ‘Inductive Logic’, in Philosophy of Science: An Encyclopedia, J. Pfeifer and S. Sarkar (eds.), New York: Routledge Press, in press.Google Scholar
- Fitelson, B.: 2006b. ‘Likelihoodism, Bayesianism, and Relational Confirmation’, Synthese, in press.Google Scholar
- Joyce, J.: 2004. ‘On the Plurality of Probabilist Measures of Evidential Relevance’, unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- Meijs, W.: 2005, Probabilistic Measures of Coherence, Ph.D. dissertation, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- Meijs, W.: 2006, ‘A Corrective to Bovens and Hartmann’s Measure of Coherence’, Philosophical Studies, in press.Google Scholar
- Moretti, L. and K. Akiba: 2006. ‘Probabilistic Measures of Coherence and the Problem of Belief Individuation’, Synthese, in press.Google Scholar
- Olsson, E. 2002‘What is the Problem of Coherence and Truth?’Journal of Philosophy94246272Google Scholar
- Olsson, E.: 2006. ‘The Impossibility of Coherence’, Erkenntnis, in press.Google Scholar