Strategic planning and challenges to the deployment of renewable energy technologies in the world scenario: its impact on global sustainable development
- 222 Downloads
To achieve the solutions to environmental problems that the world is facing in the current scenario, possible enduring actions projected to attain global sustainable developments are needed. Today, the world needs clean energy revolution to decline necessity towards fossil fuels; such a vital clean energy revolution may enhance the implementation of renewable energy technologies (RETs). The RETs have the unique capabilities to accomplish the requirements for energy and its associated services to ensure human societal and economic improvement; however, to make it successful, it must be sustainable globally. The present article describes the possible contribution associated with the RET to the three segments of sustainability. It enhances sustainability indicators like energy access and energy security; these impacts encourage the permanent societal and economic development. Irrespective of such opportunities, there are certain obstacles hindering sustainability of RERs towards sustainable development. These obstacles comprise market failures, lack of awareness, environmental, as well as institutional challenges. The proposed analysis and policy recommendations together will help to accomplish the goal of sustainability and mitigation of climate change. Also, it may decrease greenhouse gas emissions and provide healthy environment with clean energy for the present, as well as future, generations.
KeywordsEnvironment Greenhouse gas emission Sustainable development Renewable energy Renewable energy technology
Renewable energy technology
Renewable energy resources
Greenhouse gas emission
Sustainable development goals
- Al-Riffai, P., Dimaranan, B.V., & Debucquet, D.L. (2010). Global trade and environmental impact study of the EU biofuel mandate. http://www.ifpri.org/publication/global-trade-and-environmental-impact-study-eu-biofuels-mandate. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Beijing International Renewable Energy Conference. http://www.ren21.net/birec-2005. Accessed 05 Aug 2017.
- Butlin, J. (1989). Our common future: By World commission on environment and development (pp. 383–399). London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Chakraborty, S., Sadhu, P. K., & Goswami, U. (2016). Barriers to the advancement of solar energy in developing countries like India. Problemy Ekorozwoju—Problems of Sustainable Development,11(2), 75–80.Google Scholar
- Davies, M., Hodge, B., Schellekens, G., & Ahmad, S. (2015). Developing renewable energy projects: A guide to achieving success in the middle east. London: Eversheds and Price water Coopers.Google Scholar
- Del Río, P., & Burguillo, M. (2008a). Assessing the impact of renewable energy deployment on local sustainability: Towards a theoretical framework. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,12(3), 1325–1344.Google Scholar
- Del Río, P., & Burguillo, M. (2009). An empirical analysis of the impacts of renewable energy deployment on local sustainability. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,13(2), 1314–1325.Google Scholar
- Developing Renewable Energy Project: A guide to achieving success in the Middle East, https://www.pwc.com/m1/en/publications/documents/eversheds-pwc-developing-renewable-energy-projects.pdf. Accessed 9 July 2017.
- Economic Co-operation and Development: Paris, France, 2008. http://www.oecd.org/document/11/0,3343,en_21571361_37705603_41530635_1_1_1_1,00.html. Accessed 15 July 2017.
- Edenhofer, O., Pichs-madruga, R., Sokona,Y., Seyboth, K., Matschoss, P., Kadner, S., & Vonstechow, C. (2011). Renewable energy sources and climate change mitigation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781139151153. Accessed 15 July 2017.
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. www.eren.doe.gov/greenpower/willing.html. Accessed 15 July 2017.
- Energy evolution: Renewable energy in the Galapagos Islands, https://ac.els-cdn.com/S1471084603005316/1-s2.0-S1471084603005316-main.pdf?_tid=daecc91e-033b-4e56-abb1-6f81713d2842&acdnat=1529436659_7c692e435f913dd6be69a1d9a150b97b. Accessed 8 Aug 2017.
- Energy Investment 2016, the report’s 10th edition. https://cleantechnica.com/2016/03/29/2015-global-renewable-energy-investments-smash-records-milestones/19. Accessed 22 July 2017.
- Energy Use (EJ) by Economic Sector. https://www.google.co.in/search?q=Energy+use+(EJ)+by+economic+sector&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ0NfwmZ3VAhUEqI8KHeAfCj0Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=uzrl7tlOtaIzOM:ren21. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- European Renewable Energy Islands. Denmark, http://www.europeanreislands.net/index.htm. Accessed 15 Jan 2009
- Global Sustainable Energy Island Initiative. Available online: http://www.sidsnet.org/. Accessed 01 Feb 2018.
- Global Trends in Renewable Energy. https://home.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/sg/pdf/2016/11/Global-Trends-in-Renewable-Energy.pdf. Accessed on 27 July 2017.
- Global Trends in Renewable. https://newclimateinstitute.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/allianz-climate-and-energy-monitor-deep-dive-2017.pdf. Accessed 08 Aug 2017.
- Global Wind Energy Council (2010). http://gwec.net/. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Goldemberg, J., Reddy, A. K. N., Smith, K. R., & Williams, R.H., (2000). Rural energy in developing countries. In: World energy assessment: Energy and the challenge of sustainability. United Nations Development Program, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Goldman, D. P., Mckenna, J., & Murphy, L. M., (2005). Financing projects that use clean-energy technologies: an overview of barriers and opportunities. National Renewable Energy Laboratory.Google Scholar
- International Energy Agency. http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/energy-efficiency-indicatorshighlights-2017.html. Accessed 10 Feb 2018.
- International Energy Outlook 2016—EIA. https://www.google.co.in/search?q=International+Energy+Outlook+2016&oq=International+Energy+Outlook+2016&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3j69i60.1009j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8. Accessed 20 July 2017.
- IRENA, Renewable Energy Capacity. http://www.irena.org/DocumentDownloads/Publications/RE_stats_highlights_2017.pdf. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- Kassels, K. (2003). Energy evolution: renewable energy in the Galapagos Islands. Refocus,2003(4), 36–38.Google Scholar
- Klugmann-Radziemska, E. (2011). Environmental impact of photovoltaic technologies; Low Carbon Earth Summit “Leading the Green Economy, Returning to Harmony with Nature” Dalian, China. 19–2.Google Scholar
- Mitigating Climate Change-Greenhouse Gas Emission. https://www.eea.europa.eu/soer-2015/countries-comparison/climate-change-mitigation. Accessed 15 July 2017.
- Mulholland, D., Rosenberg, J., & Hogan, K. (2011). Assessing the multiple benefits of clean energy a resource for states. US environmental protection agency epa-430-ri i-014. Revised https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-08/documents/epa_assessing_benefits.pdf. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Jaramillo N., & Pablo, D. R., (2010). Contribution of Renewable Energy Sources to the Sustainable Development of Islands. An Overview of the Literature and a Research Agenda Loraima Jaramillo Sustainability, 783–811.Google Scholar
- Palanisamy, K., & Parthasarathy, K. (2016). Urbanization, food insecurity, and agriculture challenges for social sustainable development. Problemy Ekorozwoju—Problems of Sustainable Development,12(1), 157–162.Google Scholar
- Paris Agreement. http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/international/negotiations/paris/index_en.htm. Accessed 15 July 2017.
- Rajesh, K. Possible outcomes after the US exit from the Paris climate agreement. https://idsa.in/idsacomments/possible-outcomes-after-the-us-exit-from-the-paris-climate-agreement_rkumar_060617. Accessed 14th Feb 2018.
- REN21he Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REN21. Accessed 10 Feb 2018.
- Renewable. (2017). http://www.iea.org/renewables/#section-1-4. Accessed 14th Feb 2018.
- Renewable Capacity Highlights-IRENA, https://www.irena.org/media/files/irena/agency/publication/2018/mar/re_capacity_highlights_2018.pdf?la=en&hash=21795787da9bb41a32d2ff3a9c0702c43857b39c. Accessed 8 Aug 2017.
- Renewables Global Futures Report. http://www.martinot.info/REN21_GFR_2013_scenarios.pdf. Accessed 21 July 2017.
- Renewables Information 2017. https://www.iea.org/bookshop/756-Renewables_Information_2017. Accessed 02 Feb 2018.
- Solar Energy Corporation of India New Delhi. http://seci.gov.in/upload/uploadfiles/files/FAQ.pdf. Accessed 14th Feb 2018.
- Special Reports on Renewable Energy Source and Climate Change Mitigation. https://www.google.co.in/search?q=special+report+on+renewable+energy+sources+and+climate+change+mitigation&oq=special+reports+on+renewable+energy+sources+and+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.27344j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=utf-8. Accessed 25 July 2017.
- Sustainable Community Projects. https://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR855/mr855.ch5.html. Accessed 2nd Feb 2018.
- Sustainable Development. Linking Economy, Society and Environment; Organization for the 2005 World Summit. http://www.un.org/en/events/pastevents/worldsummit_2005.shtml. Accessed 07 July 2017.
- Trzyna, T. C. (1995). A sustainable world: Defining and measuring sustainable development, international union for conservation of nature and natural resources (IUCN). International Center for the Environment and Public Policy (ICEP), Earth scan, London. 231–23.Google Scholar
- United Nations Institute for Training and Research. http://www.unitar.org/dcp/renewable-energies-sustainable-development. Accessed 21 July 2017.
- WEO-2017 Special Report: Energy Access Outlook. https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/weo-2017-special-report-energy-access-outlook.html. Accessed 10 Feb 2018.
- WEHAB Working Group. (2002). A framework for action on energy. Johannesburg: World Summit on Sustainable Development. Retrieved on June, 10, 2006.Google Scholar
- World Commission on Environment and Development, 1987. Our common future. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Accessed 22 July 2017.Google Scholar
- World Energy Outlook. www.ifpri.org/sites/default/files/publications/biofuelsreportec.pdf. Accessed 23 July 2017.