Households’ perception and livelihood vulnerability to climate change in a coastal area of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
- 598 Downloads
This study examines households’ perception and livelihood vulnerability to climate change in a coastal area of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. It employed multistage sampling procedure, selected a total of 101 households from three coastal communities in Ibeno local government area of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria and obtained primary data on several indicators through interviews guided by a structured questionnaire. From the data obtained, the study examined households’ perception and developed a livelihood vulnerability index (LVI) to assess livelihood vulnerability. The result showed that households in the study area generally perceive that all the climate variables considered in the study, especially timing and length of the average rainy season, have changed over time. These are in line with meteorological data obtained from the Nigerian Meteorological Agency. In addition, the LVI shows that households are vulnerable to changes in climate variables. Households in the study area are striving to adapt to these changes but facing many challenges of which lack of adequate finance is the most important. Although these challenges are multifarious, they can be reduced through adequate support of government and non-governmental organizations. Consequently, policy recommendations are discussed.
KeywordsHouseholds’ perception Livelihood vulnerability Climate change Coastal communities Nigeria
- Acquah, H. D.-G. (2011). Farmers perception and adaptation to climate change: A wellingness to pay analysis. Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 13(5), 150–161.Google Scholar
- Adeoti, A. I., Olayide, O. E., & Coster, A. S. (2010). Flooding and welfare of fishers’ households in Lagos state, Nigeria. Journal of Human Ecology, 32(3), 161–167.Google Scholar
- Apata, T., Samuel, K., & Adeola, A. O. (2009). Analysis of climate change perception and adaptation among arable food crop farmers in South Western Nigeria. Retrieved April 22, 2014, from http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/51365/2/final%20IAAE%20doc.pdf.
- Aphunu, A., & Nwabeze, G. (2012). Fish Farmers’ perception of climate change impact on fish production in Delta State. Nigeria. Journal of Agricultural Extension, 6(2), 1–13.Google Scholar
- Ayanwuyi, S., Kuponiyi, E., Ogunlade, F., & Oyetoro, J. (2010). Farmers perception of impact of climate changes on food crop production in Ogbomosho agricultural zone of Oyo State, Nigeria. Global Journal of Human Social Science, 10(7), 33–39.Google Scholar
- Bachmair, F., Calderon, S., Clarke, K., Davis, A., Davaadorj, K., Jenkins, P., et al. (2012). Climate change adaptation capstone workshop: Assessing impact on the Niger Delta. Retrieved November 21, 2013, from http://sipa.columbia.edu/academics/workshops/documents/FORPUBLICATION_BAH_Assessment.pdf.
- Chambers, R., & Conway, G. R. (1992). Sustainable rural livelihoods: practical concepts for the 21st century. Brighton: Institute of Development Studies.Google Scholar
- Clement, A. R. (2013). Vulnerability of fisheries livelihood in the coastal area of the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences, 5(2), 152–158.Google Scholar
- Federal Ministry of Environment. (2011). National adaptation strategy and plan of action on climate change for Nigeria (NASPA-CCN). Retrieved November 23, 2013, from http://nigeriaclimatechange.org/naspa.pdf.
- Fothergill, A. (1996). Gender, risk, and disaster. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, 14(1), 33–56.Google Scholar
- Ifeanyi-obi, C., Etuk, U., & Jike-wai, O. (2012). Climate change, effects and adaptation strategies: implication for agricultural extension system in Nigeria. Greener Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 2(2), 53–060.Google Scholar
- IPCC. (2001). Climate change 2001: Impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability. Contribution of working group II to the third assessment report. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- IPCC. (2007). Climate change 2007: Synthesis report. Retrieved April 21, 2014, from Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/syr/ar4_syr.pdf.
- Knutsson, P. (2006). The sustainable livelihoods approach: A framework for knowledge integration assessment. Human Ecology Review, 13(1), 90–99.Google Scholar
- Meehl, G., Stocker, T., Collins, W., Friedlingstein, P., et al. (2007). Global climate projections. In S. Solomon, D. Qin, & M. Manning (Eds.), Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change, climate change 2007: the physical science basis (pp. 749–844). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- NPC. (2006). Report of 2006 national census: Akwa Ibom State. Abuja: National Population Commission.Google Scholar
- Onlinenigeria. (2013). Akwa Ibom State—Physical setting. Retrieved November 18, 2013, from http://www.onlinenigeria.com/links/Akwaibomadv.asp?blurb=186.
- Oyekale, A. S., & Mukela, F. (2014). Impacts of flooding on coastal fishing folks and risk adaptation behaviours in Epe, Lagos State. Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, 12(1), 339–346.Google Scholar
- Solomon, S., Qin, D., Manning, M., Chen, Z., Marquis, M., Averyt, K., et al. (2007). Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change, 2007. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, C. A., Meigh, J., & Fediw, T. (2002). Derivation and testing of the water poverty index phase 1. Retrieved October 15, 2013, from http://www.soas.ac.uk/water/publications/papers/file38386.pdf.
- Turton, C. (2000). The sustainable livelihoods approach and programme development in Cambodia. Retrieved May 22, 2014, from http://www.odi.org.uk/sites/odi.org.uk/files/odi-assets/publications-opinion-files/2748.pdf.
- UNFCCC. (1992). Full text of the convention. Retrieved October 1, 2013, from United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change: http://unfccc.int/essential_background/convention/background/items/2536.php.
- Uyigue, E. (2007). Climate change in the Niger Delta. Retrieved May 19, 2014, from http://www.ciel.org/Publications/Climate/CaseStudy_Nigeria_Dec07.pdf.
- Uyigue, E., & Agho, M. (2007). Coping with climate change and environmental degradation in the Niger Delta of Southern Nigeria. Retrieved May 12, 2014, from http://www.credcentre.org/Publications/adaptation_nigerdelta.pdf.