An Integrated Multicriteria Decision Analysis System for Reducing Air Emissions from Mining Process
- 25 Downloads
The selection of a best alternative method to minimize air pollution and energy consumption for mine sites is a critical task because it encompasses evaluation of different techniques. The aim of this paper is to select most suitable technology for mining system which helps in reducing air pollution and carbon footprints by implementing the multicriteria decision analysis (MCDA) method. The existing methods or frameworks in the mining sector, which have been used in the past to select the sustainable solution, are lacking aid of MCDA, and there is a need to contribute more in this field with a promising decision system. The MCDA method is applied as a probabilistic integrated approach for a mine site in Canada. The analysis involves processing inputs to the Preference Ranking Organization Method for Enrichment Evaluation (PROMETHEE) method which assists in identifying the alternatives, defining the criteria, and thus outranking of the final choice. Moreover, criteria weighting has been determined using analytical hierarchical process (AHP) method. Three categories: reduction of dust/fugitive emission control strategies, reduction in fuel consumption to minimize carbon footprint, and cyanide destruction methods are selected. The probability distributions of criteria weights and output flows are defined by performing uncertainty analysis using the Monte Carlo simulation (MCS). The sensitivity analysis is conducted using Spearman’s rank correlation method and walking criteria weights. The results indicate that the integrated framework provides a reliable way of selecting air pollution control solutions and help in quantifying the impact of different criteria for the selected alternatives.
KeywordsMulticriteria decision analysis PROMETHEE AHP Air pollution Carbon footprints Mining
- 5.Ontario Ministry of Labour (2016). Current occupational exposure limits for Ontario workplaces required under Regulation 833.Guidelines available at https://www.labour.gov.on.ca. Accessed 15 Nov 2018.
- 8.Yang, B., Luo, Y., & Zhou, M. (2000). A fuzzy logic-based lifecycle comparison of digital and film cameras. Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment (Cat. No. 00CH37082).Google Scholar
- 9.Clímaco, J., & Craveirinha, J. (2005). Multiple criteria decision analysis–state of the art surveys. International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, 78, 899–951.Google Scholar
- 12.Macharis, C., Springael, J., De Brucker, K., & Verbeke, A. (2004). PROMETHEE and AHP: The design of operational synergies in multicriteria analysis - strengthening PROMETHEE with ideas of AHP. European Journal of Operational Research, 153, 307–317. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(03)00153-X.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Cavalcante, C. A. V., & Almeida, A. T. d. (2007). A multi-criteria decision-aiding model using PROMETHEE III for preventive maintenance planning under uncertain conditions. Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 13(4), 385–397. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552510710829470.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Elevli, B., & Demirci, A. (2004). Multicriteria choice of ore transport system for an underground mine: Application of PROMETHEE methods. Journal of the South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 104, 251–256.Google Scholar
- 26.Cecala, A. B., O’brien, A. D., Schall, J., Colinet, J. F., Fox, W. R., Franta, R. J., … Rounds, J. R. (2012). Dust control handbook for industrial minerals mining and processing. NIOSH Report of Investigation, 9689, 284.Google Scholar
- 27.Sheoran, V., Sheoran, A. S., & Poonia, P. (2013). Phytostabilization of metalliferous mine waste. Journal of Industrial Pollution Control, 29(2), 183–192.Google Scholar
- 28.Tannant D. D., & Regensburg, B. (2001). Guidelines for mine haul road design. In A guideline book (pp. 28–42). Canada: School of Mining and Petroleum Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Alberta.Google Scholar
- 30.Bugarski, A. D., Janisko, S. J., Cauda, E. G., Patts, L. D., Hummer, J. A., Westover, C., & Terrillion, T. (2014). Aerosols and criteria gases in an underground mine that uses FAME biodiesel blends. The Annals of Occupational Hygiene, 58(8), 971–982. https://doi.org/10.1093/annhyg/meu049.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Xu, H., Li, A., Feng, L., Cheng, X., & Ding, S. (2012). Destruction of cyanide in aqueous solution by electrochemical oxidation method. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 7, 7516–7525.Google Scholar
- 35.Rio Tinto. (2016). Available at http://www.kennecott.com. Accessed 21 Sep 2017.
- 36.Super Decisions tool. (2017). Available at https://www.superdecisions.com. Accessed 16 Dec 2017.
- 37.Klanfar, M., Korman, T., & Kujundžić, T. (2016). Fuel consumption and engine load factors of equipment in quarrying of crushed stone. Tehnicki Vjesnik - Technical Gazette. https://doi.org/10.17559/TV-20141027115647.
- 38.Keller, J., Milczarek, M., Yao, T., & Buchanan, M. (2010). The effect of tailings characteristics on cover system success. In The Organizing Committee of the 14th International Conference on Tailings and Mine Waste (Ed.): Tailings and Mine Waste 2010 (p. 121). London: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 39.Kecojevic, V., & Komljenovic, D. (2011). Haul truck fuel consumption and CO2 emission under various engine load conditions. SME Annual Meeting and Exhibit and CMA 113th National Western Mining Conference 2011.Google Scholar
- 40.Lindgren, M., Larsson, G., & Hansson, P. A. (2010). Evaluation of factors influencing emissions from tractors and construction equipment during realistic work operations using diesel fuel and bio-fuels as substitute. Biosystems Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2010.07.010.
- 41.Rahman, S. M. A., Masjuki, H. H., Kalam, M. A., Abedin, M. J., Sanjid, A., & Sajjad, H. (2013). Impact of idling on fuel consumption and exhaust emissions and available idle-reduction technologies for diesel vehicles - a review. Energy Conversion and Management. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2013.05.019.
- 42.Gokhale, B. V. (2011). Rotary drilling and blasting in large surface mines (p. 744). New York: Taylor and Francis. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13398-014-0173-7.2.
- 43.Asif, Z., Chen, Z., & Han, Y. (2018). Air quality modeling for effective environmental management in the mining region. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 68(9), 1001–1014. https://doi.org/10.1080/10962247.2018.1463301.