Higher-order theory for bending and vibration of beams with circular cross section
- 385 Downloads
This paper presents an efficient and simple higher-order theory for analyzing free vibration of cylindrical beams with circular cross section where the rotary inertia and shear deformation are taken into account simultaneously. Unlike the Timoshenko theory of beams, the present method does not require a shear correction factor. Similar to the Levinson theory for rectangular beams, this new model is a higher-order theory for beams with circular cross section. For transverse flexure of such cylindrical beams, based on the traction-free condition at the circumferential surface of the cylinder, two coupled governing equations for the deflection and rotation angle are first derived and then combined to yield a single governing equation. In the case of no warping of the cross section, our results are exact. A comparison is made of the natural frequencies with those using the Timoshenko and Euler–Bernoulli theories of beams and the finite element method. Our results are useful for precisely understanding the mechanical behavior and engineering design of circular cylindrical beams.
KeywordsBeam of circular cross section Higher-order theory Free vibration Natural frequency Timoshenko beam
This work was supported by the TianYuan Special Funds of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 11126340 and 11226303).
- 1.Weaver W Jr, Timoshenko SP, Young DH (1990) Vibration problems in engineering, 5th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ru CQ (2003) Elastic models for carbon nanotubes. In: Nalwa HS (ed) Encyclopedia of nanoscience and nanotechnology. American Scientific Publishers, Valencia, pp 731–744Google Scholar
- 12.Karnovsky IA, Lebed OI (2000) Formulas for structural dynamics: tables, graphs and solutions. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Timoshenko SP (1921) On the correction for shear of the differential equation for transverse vibrations of prismatic bars. Philos Mag 41:744–746Google Scholar
- 16.Timoshenko SP (1922) On the transverse vibrations of bars of uniform cross-section. Philos Mag 43:125–131Google Scholar
- 17.Esmailzadeh E, Ghorashi M (1997) Vibration analysis of a Timoshenko beam subjected to a travelling mass. J Sound Vib 199: 615–628Google Scholar
- 22.Le Grognec P, Nguyen QH, Hjiaj M (2012) Exact buckling solution for two-layer Timoshenko beams with interlayer slip. Int J Solids Struct 49:143–150Google Scholar
- 32.Fuller CR, Elliott SJ, Nelson PA (1996) Active control of vibration. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar