Equilibrium of an elastic finite cylinder under axisymmetric discontinuous normal loadings
- 259 Downloads
This article presents an analytical technique for solving the axisymmetric elasticity problem for a finite solid cylinder subjected to discontinuous normal loadings on its ends and lateral surface. This technique is based on application of the method of crosswise superposition by representing the solution for stresses in the form of decompositions into Fourier and Bessel–Dini series. For determination of the coefficients in these series, the infinite systems of linear algebraic equations are obtained and solved by means of a modified algorithm of advanced reduction. The technique is numerically validated for typical cases of discontinuous loading. It is shown that the solution procedure is efficient for determination of the stresses in the cylinder including its edges and discontinuity points of normal loadings.
KeywordsAxisymmetric problem of elasticity Discontinous normal loading Finite cylinder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Föppl A, Föppl L (1928) Drang und Zwang. Eine höhere Festigkeitslehre für Ingenieure. Band 2. Oldenbourg, MünchenGoogle Scholar
- 6.Rankin AW (1944) Shrink-fit stresses and deformations. Trans ASME J Appl Mech 11: A77–A85Google Scholar
- 9.Kogan BI (1956) Stress-state of an infinite cylinder clamped by a rigid semi-infinite cylindrical sleeve. Prikl Matem Mech 10:236–247 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 13.Searle GFC (1920) Experimental elasticity: a manual for the laboratory. 3. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ilyushin AA, Lensky VS (1967) Strength of materials. Pergamon, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 22.Saito H (1952) Axisymmetric strain of a finite circular cylinder and disk. Trans Jpn Soc Mech Eng 18: 58–63Google Scholar
- 24.Grinchenko VT (1966) Stressed state of a circular thick disk in a field of centrifugal forces. In: SM Durgar’yan (ed) Theory of shells and plates. Proceedings of the 4th all-union conference on shells and plates. Israel Program for Scientific Translations, Jerusalem, pp 383–388Google Scholar
- 25.Grinchenko VT (1978) Equilibrium and steady vibrations of elastic bodies of finite dimensions. Naukova dumka, Kiev (in Russian)Google Scholar