Hydrochemistry and Water Quality Index of groundwater resources in Enugu north district, Enugu, Nigeria
- 9 Downloads
The physicochemical parameters of groundwater in 12 cluster boreholes in Enugu North district/region, southeast Nigeria, were studied. Twelve physicochemical parameters were determined in triplicates at monthly intervals for 3 months in dry season and then repeated in rainy season in 120 boreholes grouped into 12 clusters for 2 years. The range of values obtained during dry season include phosphate (0.12–0.87 mg/L), nitrate (1.24–8.72 mg/L), sulfate (20.10–24.34 mg/L), pH (4.9–7.5), E.C. (10.0–410.0 μS/cm), total acidity (0.06–1.24 mg/L), total alkalinity (28.0–22.10 mg/L), total hardness (100.0–140.1 mg/L), TSS (70.0–270.0 mg/L), TDS (0.00–210.0 mg/L), TS (70.0–390.0 mg/L), and turbidity (3.4–50.0 mg/L) while rainy season values were phosphate (0.30–10.60 mg/L), nitrate (1.20–120.0 mg/L), sulfate (0.0–100.0 mg/L), pH (4.9–7.5), E.C. (10.0–360.0 μS/cm), total acidity (0.10–10.5 mg/L), total alkalinity (10.0–52.1 mg/L), total hardness (100–130 mg/L), TSS (100.0–280.0 mg/L), TDS (0.0–260.0 mg/L), TS (110.0–560.0 mg/L), and turbidity (3.80–56.0 mg/L). When compared with standard guideline values recommended by regulatory bodies, rainy season nitrate values in some samples and phosphate mean values were higher than recommended values. Seasonal variations of the parameters in the samples were observed. Statistical analysis showed statistically significant variations between the 12 borehole water physicochemical parameters in dry and rainy seasons. Water quality index (WQI) analysis categorized all the water samples within the range of good to excellent.
KeywordsGroundwater Monitoring Hydrochemistry Nitrate District Water supply
The authors wish to thank their Laboratory assistants and attendants who helped in the sample collection and other minor errands.
- Abbasnia, A., Alimohammadi, M., Mahvi, A. H., Nabizadeh, R., Yousefi, M., Mohammadi, A. A., Pasalari, H., & Mirzabeigi, M. (2018). Assessment of groundwater quality and evaluation of scaling and corrosiveness potential of drinking water samples in villages of Chabahar city, Sistan and Baluchistan province in Iran. DataBrief, 16, 182–192.Google Scholar
- Adamu, G. K., & Adekiya, A. O. (2010). An assessment of water quality of boreholes around selected landfills in Kano Metropolis. African Scientist, 11, 21595–26881.Google Scholar
- Adeyi, A. A., & Majolagbe, A. O. (2014). Assessment of groundwater quality around two major active dumpsites in Lagos, Nigeria. Global Journal of Science Frontier Research: B Chemistry, 14(7), 15–23.Google Scholar
- Adoga, O. (2006). Nigerian water resources policy and Law. A need for global compliance. Brooke Chambers, www.martindale.com/home/legallibrary. Accessed 9 June 2014.
- Ahmed, S., Eyaife, C. O (2014): Physicochemical and bacteriological quality of groundwater at Abubaka Tatari Ali Polytcnic, Bauchi European Scientific Journal, 10(18) e-ISSN 1857–7431; available at http;//eujournal.org. Accessed Oct 2017.
- Akhavan, G., Dobaradaran, S., & Borazjani, J. M. (2016). Data on fluoride concentration level in villages of Asara (Alborz,Iran) and daily fluoride intake based on drinking water consumption. DataBrief, 9, 625–628.Google Scholar
- Al-Mayah W. T., Mashaanrabee A. (2018). Evaluation of water quality using Water Quality Index (WQI) method and GIS in Al-Gharraf River Southren of Iraq. Journal of Global Pharmaceutical Technology Available Online at www.jgpt.co.in. Accessed on 18 Jan 2018
- Al-Obaidy, A. M., Al-Janabi, Z. Z., & Shakir, E. (2015). Assessment of water quality of Tigris River within Baghdad City Mesopotemia. Environmental Journal., 1(3), 90–98.Google Scholar
- Ani, J.U., Asegbeloyin, J.N., Melkiti, M.C. (2011). Physicochemical characterization of industrial effluents: case studies of beverage and fibre cement plants in Enugu, Nigeria New York Science Journal, 4(4):114–117, http://www.sciencepub.net/newyork. Accessed on 14th May 2014.
- APHA – AWWA. (1999). Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water 20th edition. Washington D.C., U.S.A: American Public Health Association (APHA), American Water Works Association (AWWA), Water Environment Federation (WEF).Google Scholar
- APHA, AWWA WFF. (2015). In A. D. Eaton (Ed.), Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and wastewater (21th ed.). USA: American Water Work Association and Water Environment Federation.Google Scholar
- Bhargava, D. S., Saxena, B. S., & Dewakar, R. W. (1998). A study of geo-pollutants in the Godavary river basin in India. Asian Environment., 12, 36–59.Google Scholar
- British Geological Survey [BGS]. (2003). Groundwater quality: Nigeria. Natural environmental research council [NERC].Google Scholar
- Brown, R. M., McClelland, N. I., Deininger, R. A., & Tozer, R. G. (1970). Water quality index-do we dare? Water Sewage Works, 117(10), 339–343.Google Scholar
- CCME. (2001). Canadian environmental quality guidelines for the protection of aquatic life, CCME water quality index: technical report, 1.0.Google Scholar
- Chauhan, A., & Singh, S. (2010). Evaluation of Ganga water for drinking purpose by Water Quality Index at Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, India. Report Opinion, 2(9), 53–61.Google Scholar
- Chowdhury, R. M., Muntasir, S. Y., & Hossain, M. M. (2012). Water quality index of water bodies along Faridpur-Barisal road in Bangladesh, Gloalb. Engineering and Technology Review, 2(3), 1–8.Google Scholar
- Dash, A., Das, H. K., Mishra, B., & Bhuyan, N. K. (2015). Evaluation of water quality of local streams and Baitarani River in Joda area of Odisha, India. nternational Journal of Current Research, 7(3), 13559–13568.Google Scholar
- Dhanaji, K. G., Shagufta, S. A., & Pramod, J. N. (2016). Physico-chemical analysis of drinking water samples of different places in Kadegaon Tahsil, Maharashtra (India). Advances in Applied Science Research, 7(6), 41–44.Google Scholar
- Dwivedi, S., Tiwari, I. C., & Bhargava, D. S. (1997). Water quality of the river Ganga at Varanasi. Institute of Engineers, Kolkota, 78, 1–4.Google Scholar
- EPA. (2001). Method 1686 nitrate and nitrite – N in water and bio-solids by manual colorimetry, 821-R-01-005. Washington D.C: United States of America: United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Water, Science and Technology, Engineering and Analysis Division.Google Scholar
- Essien, O. E., & Bassey, E. D. (2012). Spatial variation of borehole water in Uyo municipality, Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental Science Management and Engineering. Research, 1(1), 1–9.Google Scholar
- Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette. (2006). Legal Notice on Publication of the Details of the Breakdown of the National and State Provisional Totals 2006 Census., 15 May 2007, www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/nbapps/connections . Accessed on August 2014.
- Gupta, N. (2014). Groundwater vulnerability assessment using DRASTIC method in Jabalpur District of Madhya Pradesh. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, 3, 36–43.Google Scholar
- Hector, R. A., Manuel, C. C., Rey, M. Q., Ruben, A. S. T., & Adan, P. M. (2012). An overall Water Quality Index (WQI) for a man-made aquatic reservoir in Mexico. International Journal of Environment Research and Public Health, 9, 1687–1698. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph9051687 www.mdpi.com/journal/ijerph. (Accessed on May, 2014).
- Horton, R. K. (1965). An index number system for rating water quality. Journal of Water Pollution and Contamination Federation, 37(3), 300–305.Google Scholar
- Kaviarasan M, Geetha P, Soman K. P. (2016). GIS-based groundwater monitoring in Thiruvannamalai District, Tamil Nadu, India. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Soft Computing Systems. 397: 685–700.Google Scholar
- Khan A, Rehman, Y (2018) Groundwater quality assessment using Water Quality Index (WQI) in Liaquatabad town, Karachi, Pakistan. International Journal of Ground Sediment & Water, 7: 311–325.Google Scholar
- Kolekar, S. S. (2017). Physico-chemical analysis of ground water quality parameters—a review. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(1), 376–378.Google Scholar
- Krishnan G, Singh S, Singh RP, Ghosh NC, Khanna A (2016) Water quality index of groundwater of Haridwar District, Uttarakhand India. Water Energy International 58(10):55–58Google Scholar
- Maxwell, O., Sunday, E. S., Oladotun, A. O., Akinloye, A. S., Emenike, P. C., Tenebe, I. T., Ofuyatan, O., Sociis, O. T., Wagira, H., & Mouri, H. (2017). Assessment of dose intake of toxic elements in groundwater samples from Abuja, northcentral Nigeria. WIT Transactions on. Ecology and the Environment, 216, 267–275.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Morris B.L, Lawrence, A R. L., Chilton, P. J. C, Adams, B., Calow, R. C., Klinck B. A. (2003). Groundwater and its susceptibility to degradation: a global assessment of the problems and options for management. Early warning assessment report series, RS. 03-3. United Nation Environmental Programme (UNEP) Nairobi, Kenya.Google Scholar
- National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control [NAFDAC]. (1999). Guidelines for registration and production of packaged water in Nigeria, Abuja: NAFDAC.Google Scholar
- Ngele, S. O., Itumoh, E. J., Onwa, N. C., & Alubo, F. (2014). Quality assessment of groundwater samples in Amike-Aba, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State. Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, 8(1), 2801–2805.Google Scholar
- Oko, O. J., Aremu, M. O., Odoh, R., Ye’bpella, J., Shenge, J. A. (2015). Assessment of Water Quality Index of borehole and well water in Wukari town Taraba State, Nigeria. Journal of Environment & Earth Sciences, 4(5), www.iiste.org. Accessed on July 2015.
- Okoye, C. O. B., & Adiele, G. C. (2014). Physicochemical and bacteriological qualities of groundwater resources in Ezinihitte Mbaise local government area of Imo state, Nigeria. International Journal Chemical Sciences., 12(1), 23–38.Google Scholar
- Okoye, C. O. B., Ugwu, J. N., & Ibeto, C. N. (2010). Characterisation of rural water resources for potable water supply in some parts of south eastern Nigeria. Journal of Chemical Society Nigeria, 35(1), 83–88.Google Scholar
- Omaka, O. N. O., Onwe, I. F., & M, I. (2015). Hydrogeochemical attributes and groundwater quality in Ngbo community of Ohaukwu area council, Ebonyi state, Nigeria. Ambiente & Água- interdisciplinary Journal of Applied sciences., 10(1), 35–47.Google Scholar
- Onunkwo, A. A., Uzoije, J. A. (2011). Exploratory of Survey of Geochemical Aspects of Underground water in Ehime Mbano area of Nigeria, World Rural Observations, 3(2), http://www.sciencepub.net/rural. Accessed on 26th May 2016.
- Rao, C. S., Rao, B. S., Hariharan, A. V. L. N. S. H., & Bharathi, N. M. (2010). Determination of Water Quality Index of some areas in Guntur district Andhra Pradesh. International Journal of Applied Bio Pharm Technology, I(1), 79–86.Google Scholar
- Sajitha, V., & Smitha, A. V. (2016). Study of physico chemical parameters and pond water quality assessment by using Water Quality Index at Athiyannoor Panchayath , Kerala, India. Emergent Life Science Research, 2(1), 46–45.Google Scholar
- Sehnaz, S., Erhan, S., & Aysen, D. (2017). Evaluation of water quality using waterquality index (WQI) method and GIS in Aksu River (SW-Turkey). Science of the Total Environment, 584-585(2017), 131–144.Google Scholar
- Shweta, T., Bhavtosh, S., Prashant, S., & Rajendra, D. (2013). Water quality assessment in terms of Water Quality Index. American Journal of Water Resources, 1(3), 34–38.Google Scholar
- SON. (2007). Nigeria standard for drinking water quality [NSDWQ,-200]. Abuja, Nigeria: Standard Organisation of Nigeria.Google Scholar
- Stigter, T. Y., Ribeiro, L., & Dill, C. A. M. M. (2006). Application of groundwater quality index as an assessment and communication tool in agro-environmental policies—two Potuguese case studies. Journal of Hydrology, 327(57), 8–591.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2006). United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Water, a shared responsibility, The United Nations. In World Water Development Report 2. Executive Summary. New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- UNICEF. (2010). Fact sheet: water, sanitation and hygiene. WBCSD water facts and trends: Technical and policy document, United Nation International Children’s Emergency Fund [UNICEF], World Health Oganisation [WHO], World Food Program [WFP] and World Bank, http://www.unicef.org/index_documents.html. Accessed April 2014.
- Uzoije, A. P., Onunkwo, A. A., Ibeneme, I. S., & Obioha, E. Y. (2014). Hydrogeology of Nsukka south-east- a preliminary approach to water resources development. American Journal of Engineering Research, 3(1), 150–162.Google Scholar
- WHO. (2011). World Health Organisation WHO Guidelines for drinking water quality, 4th edition, Geneva: 472–475,Google Scholar
- Yadav, K. K., Gupta, N., Kumar, V., Sharma, S., & Arya, S. (2015). Water quality assessment of Pahuj River using Water Quality Index at Unnao Balaji, M.P., India. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Appllied Research, 19(1), 241–250.Google Scholar
- Yousefi, M, Saleh H. N ,Mohammadi A.A, Mahvi A. H, Ghadrpoori, M, .Suleiman H.i.(2017). Data on Water Quality Index for the groundwater in rural area Neyshabur County, Razavi province, Iran Data Brief 15; 901–907.Google Scholar
- Zandagba, J. E. B., Adandedj, F. M., Bruno, E., Lokonon, B. E., Amédée, C. A., Dan, O., & Mama, D. (2017). Application use of Water Quality Index (WQI) and multivariate analysis for Nokoué lake water quality assessment. American Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, 1(4), 117–127.Google Scholar
- Zeid, S. A. M., Seleem, E. M., Salman, S. A., & Abdel-Hafiz, M. A. (2018). Water quality index of shallow groundwater and assessment for different usages in El-Obour city. Egypt Journal of Material and Environmental Science., 9(7), 1957–1968.Google Scholar