A new combination for the determination of ultratrace cadmium: solid-phase microextraction by stearic acid-coated magnetic nanoparticles prior to batch-type hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry
- 13 Downloads
Solid-phase microextraction method based on stearic acid-coated magnetic nanoparticle has been combined with batch-type hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry (BT-HGAAS) system to determine cadmium at ultratrace levels. After the adsorption of cadmium ions onto stearic acid-coated magnetic nanoparticles, they were easily separated from the aqueous phase by means of a magnet. All the instrumental and experimental parameters such as pH of buffer solution, interaction period, concentration, and volume of NaBH4 were optimized. Under the optimal conditions, limit of quantification (LOQ) and limit of detection (LOD) for the solid-phase microextraction (SPME) based on stearic acid-coated magnetic nanoparticles-BT-HGAAS (SACMNP-BT-HGAAS) method were obtained as 270.8 ng/L and 81.7 ng/L, respectively. The matrix-matching calibration method was performed in order to improve the accuracy of cadmium quantification in tap water and the recovery results obtained were as follows: 88.56 ± 8.92 and 97.43 ± 9.76, for 6.0 and 8.0 ng/mL of cadmium-spiked tap water samples, respectively.
KeywordsCadmium Magnetic nanoparticles Stearic acid Batch-type hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry Solid-phase microextraction
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Akkaya, E., Kasa, N. A., Çetin, G., & Bakırdere, S. (2017). A new method for the determination of cadmium at ultratrace levels using slotted quartz tube-flame atomic absorption spectrometry after preconcentration with stearic acid coated magnetite nanoparticles. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, 32, 2433–2438.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Alpdoğan, G. (2016). Solid phase extraction of Cu (II), Ni (II), Co (II), and Fe (III) ions in water samples using salicylaldehyde benzoylhydrazone on Amberlite XAD-4 and their determinations by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, 98(2), 179–188.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chakrabarti, C. L. (2016). Progress in analytical atomic spectroscopy (Vol. 5). New York City: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Chen, P., Duan, X., Li, M., Huang, C., Li, J., Chu, R., Ying, H., Song, H., Jia, X., Ba, Q., & Wang, H. (2016). Systematic network assessment of the carcinogenic activities of cadmium. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 310, 150–158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2016.09.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Clare, T. L. (2016). Anodic stripping voltammetry pre-lab lecture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6gw0xq7jQ. Accessed 11.01.2018.
- Fırat, M., Bakırdere, S., Fındıkoğlu, M. S., Kafa, E. B., Yazıcı, E., Yolcu, M., Büyükpınar, Ç., Chormey, D. S., Sel, S., & Turak, F. (2017). Determination of trace amount of cadmium using dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction-slotted quartz tube-flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy, 129, 37–41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sab.2017.01.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Forrer, R., Gautschi, K., & Lutz, H. (2001). Simultaneous measurement of the trace elements Al, As, B, Be, Cd, Co, Cu, Fe, Li, Mn, Mo, Ni, Rb, Se, Sr, and Zn in human serum and their reference ranges by ICP-MS. [article]. Biological Trace Element Research, 80(1), 77–93. https://doi.org/10.1385/BTER:80:1:77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goullé, J.-P., Mahieu, L., Castermant, J., Neveu, N., Bonneau, L., Lainé, G., et al. (2005). Metal and metalloid multi-elementary ICP-MS validation in whole blood, plasma, urine and hair: Reference values. Forensic Science International, 153(1), 39–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2005.04.020.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Huang, C., & Hu, B. (2008). Silica-coated magnetic nanoparticles modified with γ-mercaptopropyltrimethoxysilane for fast and selective solid phase extraction of trace amounts of Cd, Cu, Hg, and Pb in environmental and biological samples prior to their determination by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy, 63(3), 437–444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sab.2007.12.010.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ito, M., Ishiguro, S., Takahashi, F., Nomura, T., Sugimoto, T., & Nishimura, T. (2015). Trace analysis of lead in copper gluconate by atomic absorption spectrometry after separation by co-precipitation with bismuth. Shokuhin eiseigaku zasshi. Journal of the Food Hygienic Society of Japan, 56(3), 114–117.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Khan, S., Kazi, T. G., & Soylak, M. (2014). Rapid ionic liquid-based ultrasound assisted dual magnetic microextraction to preconcentrate and separate cadmium-4-(2-thiazolylazo)-resorcinol complex from environmental and biological samples. [article]. Spectrochimica Acta - Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 123, 194–199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2013.12.065.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nawrot, T., Plusquin, M., Hogervorst, J., Roels, H. A., Celis, H., Thijs, L., Vangronsveld, J., van Hecke, E., & Staessen, J. A. (2006). Environmental exposure to cadmium and risk of cancer: a prospective population-based study. [article]. Lancet Oncology, 7(2), 119–126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(06)70545-9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Organization, W. H. (2010). Exposure to cadmium: a major public health concern. Geneva, Switzerland. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/ipcs/features/cadmium.pdf. Accessed 13 Jan 2015.
- Shi, Z., Qiu, L., Zhang, D., Sun, M., & Zhang, H. (2015). Dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction based on amine-functionalized Fe3O4 nanoparticles for the determination of phenolic acids in vegetable oils by high-performance liquid chromatography with UV detection. [article]. Journal of Separation Science, 38(16), 2865–2872. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201500330.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, Y., Gao, S., Zang, X., Li, J., & Ma, J. (2012). Graphene-based solid-phase extraction combined with flame atomic absorption spectrometry for a sensitive determination of trace amounts of lead in environmental water and vegetable samples. Analytica Chimica Acta, 716, 112–118.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yilmaz, E., & Soylak, M. (2013). Ionic liquid-linked dual magnetic microextraction of lead(II) from environmental samples prior to its micro-sampling flame atomic absorption spectrometric determination. [article]. Talanta, 116, 882–886. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2013.08.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar