In situ generation of hydroxyl radical for efficient degradation of 2,4-dichlorophenol from aqueous solutions
- 118 Downloads
Since 2,4-dichlorophenol (2,4-DCP) as a priority pollutant is used in numerous industrial processes, its removal from the aqueous environment is of utmost importance and desire. Herein, the authors describe an electrochemical treatment process for efficient removal of 2,4-DCP from aqueous solutions using electro-Fenton (EF) process. Response surface methodology (RSM) was applied to optimize the operating parameters. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) confirmed the significance of the predicted model. The effect of independent variables on the removal of 2,4-DCP was investigated and the best removal efficiency of 98.28% achieved under the optimal experimental condition including initial pH of 3, H2O2 dosage of 80 μL, initial 2,4-DCP concentration of 3.25 mg L−1, current density of 3.32 mA cm−2, and inter-electrode distance of 5.04 cm. The predicted removal efficiency was in satisfactory agreement with the obtained experimental removal efficiency of 99.21%. According to the obtained polynomial model, H2O2 dosage revealed the most significant effect on degradation process. The kinetic investigation revealed that the first-order model with the correlation coefficient of 0.9907 and rate constant (Kapp) of 0.831 min−1 best fitted with the experimental results. Generation of the hydroxyl radicals throughout the EF process controlled the degradation process.
KeywordsElectro-Fenton process Hydroxyl radical 2,4-Dichlorophenol Response surface methodology Kinetic model
The authors express their appreciation to Pharmaceutics Research Center, Institute of Neuropharmacology and Student Research Committee both affiliated to Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran for supporting the current work.
- Ahmadzadeh, S., & Dolatabadi, M. (2018b). Removal of acetaminophen from hospital wastewater using electro-Fenton process. [journal article]. Environmental Earth Sciences, 77(2), 53, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-017-7203-7.
- Ahmadzadeh, S., Kassim, A., Rezayi, M., Abdollahi, Y., & Hossein, G. (2011a). A conductometric study of complexation reaction between meso-octamethylcalix  pyrrole with titanium cation in acetonitrile-ethanol binary mixtures. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 6, 4749–4759.Google Scholar
- Ahmadzadeh, S., Rezayi, M., Faghih-Mirzaei, E., Yoosefian, M., & Kassim, A. (2015a). Highly selective detection of titanium (III) in industrial waste water samples using meso-octamethylcalixpyrrole-doped PVC membrane ion-selective electrode. Electrochimica Acta, 178, 580–589.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ahmadzadeh, S., Asadipour, A., Pournamdari, M., Behnam, B., Rahimi, H. R., & Dolatabadi, M. (2017a). Removal of ciprofloxacin from hospital wastewater using electrocoagulation technique by aluminum electrode: optimization and modelling through response surface methodology. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 109, 538–547. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2017.04.026.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ahmadzadeh, S., Asadipour, A., Yoosefian, M., & Dolatabadi, M. (2017b). Improved electrocoagulation process using chitosan for efficient removal of cefazolin antibiotic from hospital wastewater through sweep flocculation and adsorption; kinetic and isotherm study. Desalination and Water Treatment, 92, 160–171. https://doi.org/10.5004/dwt.2017.21492.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ahmadzadeh, S., Karimi, F., Atar, N., Sartori, E. R., Faghih-Mirzaei, E., & Afsharmanesh, E. (2017c). Synthesis of CdO nanoparticles using direct chemical precipitation method: fabrication of novel voltammetric sensor for square wave voltammetry determination of chlorpromazine in pharmaceutical samples. Inorganic and Nano-Metal Chemistry, 47(3), 347–353.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dehghani, M. H., Dehghan, A., Alidadi, H., Dolatabadi, M., Mehrabpour, M., & Converti, A. (2017). Removal of methylene blue dye from aqueous solutions by a new chitosan/zeolite composite from shrimp waste: kinetic and equilibrium study. Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 1–9.Google Scholar
- Doltabadi, M., Alidadi, H., Davoudi, M. (2016). Comparative study of cationic and anionic dye removal from aqueous solutions using sawdust-based adsorbent. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy.Google Scholar
- Kassim, A., Rezayi, M., Ahmadzadeh, S., Rounaghi, G., Mohajeri, M., Yusof, N. A., et al. (2011). A novel ion selective polymeric membrane sensor for determining thallium (I) with high selectivity. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 17, pp. 012010). IOP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/17/1/012010.
- Moussavi, G., & Aqanaghad, M. (2015). Performance evaluation of electro-Fenton process for pretreatment and biodegradability improvement of a pesticide manufacturing plant effluent. Sustainable Environment Research, 25, 249–254.Google Scholar
- Ortiz-Martínez, K., Reddy, P., Cabrera-Lafaurie, W. A., Román, F. R., & Hernández-Maldonado, A. J. (2016). Single and multi-component adsorptive removal of bisphenol a and 2,4-dichlorophenol from aqueous solutions with transition metal modified inorganic–organic pillared clay composites: effect of pH and presence of humic acid. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 312, 262–271.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ouiriemmi, I., Karrab, A., Oturan, N., Pazos, M., Rozales, E., Gadri, A., Sanromán, M. Á., Ammar, S., & Oturan, M. A. (2017). Heterogeneous electro-Fenton using natural pyrite as solid catalyst for oxidative degradation of vanillic acid. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 797, 69–77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pardakhty, A., Ahmadzadeh, S., Avazpour, S., & Gupta, V. K. (2016). Highly sensitive and efficient voltammetric determination of ascorbic acid in food and pharmaceutical samples from aqueous solutions based on nanostructure carbon paste electrode as a sensor. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 216, 387–391.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rezayi, M., Karazhian, R., Abdollahi, Y., Narimani, L., Sany, S. B. T., Ahmadzadeh, S., et al. (2014). Titanium (III) cation selective electrode based on synthesized tris(2pyridyl)methylamine ionophore and its application in water samples. Scientific Reports, 4, 1–8.Google Scholar
- Sathishkumar, M., Binupriya, A., Kavitha, D., Selvakumar, R., Jayabalan, R., Choi, J., et al. (2009). Adsorption potential of maize cob carbon for 2, 4-dichlorophenol removal from aqueous solutions: equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamics modeling. Chemical Engineering Journal, 147(2), 265–271.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sharma, S., Kaur, J., Nagpal, A. K., & Kaur, I. (2016). Quantitative assessment of possible human health risk associated with consumption of arsenic contaminated groundwater and wheat grains from Ropar Wetand and its environs. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 188(9), 506.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Villas-Boas, M. D., Olivera, F., & de Azevedo, J. P. S. (2017). Assessment of the water quality monitoring network of the Piabanha River experimental watersheds in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, using autoassociative neural networks. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 189(9), 439.Google Scholar
- Yoosefian, M., Ahmadzadeh, S., Aghasi, M., & Dolatabadi, M. (2017). Optimization of electrocoagulation process for efficient removal of ciprofloxacin antibiotic using iron electrode; kinetic and isotherm studies of adsorption. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 225, 544–553. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2016.11.093.CrossRefGoogle Scholar