Assessment of methane generation, oxidation, and emission in a subtropical landfill test cell
- 239 Downloads
This paper presents results of a methane balance assessment in a test cell built in a region with a subtropical climate near São Paulo, Brazil. Measurements and calculations were carried out to obtain the total methane emission to the atmosphere, the methane oxidation rate in the cover, and the total methane generation rate in the test cell. The oxidation rate was obtained through a calculation scheme based on a vertical one-dimensional methane transport in the cover region. The measured maximum and mean methane fluxes to the atmosphere were 124.4 and 15.87 g m−2 d−1, respectively. The total methane generation rate obtained for the test cell was 0.0380 ± 0.0075 mol s−1. The results yielded that 69 % of the emitted methane occurred through the central well and 31 % through the cover interface with the atmosphere. The evaluations of the methane oxidation fraction for localized conditions in the lateral embankment of the test cell yielded 0.36 ± 0.11, while for the whole test cell yielded 0.15 ± 0.10. These results conciliate localized and overall evaluations reported in the literature. The specific methane generation rate obtained for the municipal solid waste with an age of 410 days was 317 ± 62 mol year−1 ton−1. This result from the subtropical São Paulo region is lower than reported figures for tropical climates and higher than reported figures for temperate climates.
KeywordsMethane emission Methane generation Methane oxidation Landfill Test cell Subtropical climate
The authors want to thank Essencis Soluções Ambientais SA and Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (Capes) for supporting this research.
- Bogner, J., Spokas, K. (1995). The landfill methane balance: model and practical applications. International Landfill Conference, Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.Google Scholar
- Buhmann, M. D. (2003). Radial Basis Functions: Theory and Implementations. Cambridge University Press, page 99.Google Scholar
- Candiani G. (2011). Study about methane generation in a landfill test cell. Ph.D. thesis, Universidade Federal do ABC. Santo André, SP, Brazil.Google Scholar
- Candiani, G., Moreira, J. M. L. (2015). Estudo da geração de metano em uma célula de aterro sanitário, pages 17 and 171. Paco Editorial, Jundiaí, SP, Brazil.Google Scholar
- IPCC (2006). Guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories, Solid waste disposal, Chapter 3. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.Google Scholar
- PNRS (2015). Política Nacional de Resíduos Sólidos. Ministério do Meio Ambiente, Brazil. http://www.mma.gov.br/política-de-resíduos-sólido. Accessed in September 2015.