Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in some grounded coffee brands
- First Online:
- 351 Downloads
Potentially toxic 16 priority polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) were determined in four brands of grounded coffee. Four to 13 PAHs were detected. Concentrations of total PAHs in different brands of coffee samples were in the range of 831.7–1,589.7 μg/kg. Benzo[a]pyrene (2A: probable human carcinogen) was found in Nescafe Premium whereas naphthalene (2B: possible human carcinogen) was found in all the samples of coffee.
KeywordsPAH Coffee Soxhlet extraction Gas chromatography
- Alomiraha, H., Zenkia, S. A., Husaina, A., Sawayaa, W., Ahmedb, N., Gevao, B., & Kannan, K. (2010). Benzo[a]pyrene and total polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) levels in vegetable oils and fats do not reflect the occurrence of the eight genotoxic PAHs. Food Additives & Contaminants. Part A, Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure & Risk Assessment, 27, 869–878.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dinh, T. V. (1989). Significance of chemical, analysis of polycyclic aromatic compounds and related biological systems. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Dobrinas, S., Soceanu, A., Birghila, S., & Coatu, V. (2008). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and organochlorine pesticides contents in tap and surface waters. Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 7, 57–60.Google Scholar
- EPA method 8100 (1986) Polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons. http://www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/testmethods/sw846/pdfs/8100.pdf. Accessed 20 November 2012.
- Rajput, N., & Lakahani, A. (2010). Measurement of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in an urban atmosphere of Agra, India. Atmosfera, 23, 165–183.Google Scholar
- Stanciu, G., Dobrinas, S., Birghila, S., & Popescu, M. (2008). Determination of organic compounds from different types of coffee by HPLC and GC-ECD analysis. Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 7, 661–666.Google Scholar
- Yang, C. S., Lee, M. J., Chen, L., & Yang, G. (1997). Polyphenols as inhibitors of carcinogenesis. Environmental Health Perspectives, 105, 971–976.Google Scholar
- Yunker, M. B., Snowdon, L. R., Mac-Donald, R. W., Simth, J. N., Fowler, M. G., Skibo, D. N., Mc-Laughlin, F. A., Danyushevskaya, A. I., Petrova, V. I., & Ivanov, G. I. (1996). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons composition and potential sources for sediment samples from the Beaufort and Barent seas. Environmental Science and Technology, 30, 1310–1320.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zohair, A. (2006). Levels of polyaromatic hydrocarbons in Egyptian vegetables and their behavior during soaking in oxidizing agent solutions. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 2, 90–94.Google Scholar