Influence of lake morphology on water quality
- 374 Downloads
Lakes are seriously affected due to urban pollution. The study of the morphological features of a lake system helps to identify its environmental status. The objective of the present study is to analyse the influence of morphometry on water quality in a lake (Akkulam–Veli Lake, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala). The morphological features namely mean depth, surface area, volume, shoreline length, shoreline development and index of basin permanence have been evaluated. Correlation analysis has been conducted to determine the relationship between morphological features and water quality. Regression analysis has been conducted to find out the extent of influence of morphometric features on water quality. The study revealed that the lake is less affected by wind-induced wave action due to various reasons. The depth and volume have significant role in the water quality. The nitrogen fixation of blue green algae can be observed from the morphological features. The morphology has greater role in the water quality of a lake system.
KeywordsMorphology Bathymetry Regression analysis Nitrogen fixation Water quality Akkulam–Veli Lake Kerala
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- APHA (2005). Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water (21st ed.). Washington, DC: American Public Health Association.Google Scholar
- Babaluk, J. A., Campbell, J. S., & Rowes, K. D. (1980). Morphometry of lakes—chemical analysis of water in the Heming lake study area, Manitoba, Canadian Manuscript report of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 1575, Western Region, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 24th report.Google Scholar
- Florida LAKEWATCH (2001). A Beginner’s guide to water management—Lake Morphometry (2nd ed.). Gainesville: Florida LAKEWATCH, Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.Google Scholar
- Kendra, W., & Singleton, L. (1987). Morphometry of Lake Chelan. Olympia: Washington State Department of Ecology, Water Quality Investigation Section.Google Scholar
- Rusness, D., & Burris, R. H. (1970). Acetylene reduction (Nitrogen fixation) in Wisconsin lakes. www.aslo.org/lo/toc/vol_15/issue_5/0808.pdf.
- Trainor, K., & Churchill, M. (1996). Lake morphometry assessment and characterization, Final report, Department of Geography, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia.Google Scholar
- Zuberer, D. A. (1982). Nitrogen fixation (Acetylene reduction) associated with duckweed (Lemnaceae) mats. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 43(4), 823–828.Google Scholar