Study of heavy metal pollution in seawater of Kepez harbor of Canakkale (Turkey)
- 349 Downloads
In this work, the heavy metals cadmium and lead in Kepez harbor were studied with regard to the determination of the environmental pollution levels. Seawater samples of the Dardanelles (Canakkale Strait) were collected from the nearest station to Kepez harbor in July 2007. Then, the concentrations of these metals were determined after simple pretreatment of samples by the proposed inductively coupled plasma–atomic emission spectrometry (ICP-AES) method. The analysis of a given sample is completed in about 15 min by the ICP-AES method, and the concentrations of Cd and Pb were found to be 73.80 mg L − 1 (relative standard deviation [RSD], 1.07%) and 9.39 mg L − 1 (RSD, 0.70%), respectively. The accuracy of the applied ICP technique was checked by recovery studies, and good recoveries were obtained. The pollution levels of Cd and Pb recorded in this study were compared with those in other studies to analyze the water sample in Kepez harbor.
KeywordsKepez harbor Cadmium Lead ICP-AES
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Doğan, M., & Soylak, M. (2000). Water chemistry. Turkish: Erciyes University Publications.Google Scholar
- Mee, D. (1992). The black sea in crisis: A need for concerted international action. Ambio, 21(3), 278.Google Scholar
- Riley, C. M., & Rosanske, T. W. (1996). Development and validation of analytical methods. New York: Elsevier Science Ltd.Google Scholar
- Süren, E. (2004). Determination of some toxic heavy metals in the Dardanelles by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry and electroanalytic methods. Master thesis, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Natural and Applied Sciences institute.Google Scholar
- Swartz, M. E., & Krull, I. S. (1997). Analytical method development and validation. New York: Marcel Dekker.Google Scholar
- Turkoğlu, M., Parlak, H., & Büyükışık, B. (1992). A comparative study on Crtot concentrations of water, sediment and some benthic organisms of Izmir Bay. In: 2002 Rapp Comm Int Mer Medit (International symposium) (Vol. 33, pp. 86). Trieste, Italy: CIESM.Google Scholar
- Yayıntas, O. T., Yilmaz, S., Turkoglu, M., Arık Çolakoğlu, F., & C̨akır, F. (2007b). Seasonal variation of some heavy metal pollution with environmental and microbiological parameters in sub-basin of Kocabas Stream (Biga, Canakkale, Turkey) by ICP-AES. Environmental Biomonitoring and Assessment, 134, 32.Google Scholar
- Zirino, A., Liebrman, S. H., Healy, M. L., Berkowitz, J. B., Horne, R., Banus, M., et al. (Eds.) (1973). In Marina electrochemistry (p. 319). Princeton: The Electrochemical Society.Google Scholar