Assessment of trace metal pollution in surface sediments of Nemrut Bay, Aegean Sea
- 451 Downloads
Surface sediments collected from nine stations in Nemrut Bay, Aegean Sea were analyzed for trace metals (Hg, Cd, Pb, Cr, Cu, Zn, Mn, Ni, Fe, As, and Mg) and grain sizes. The results were compared with the numerical sediment guidelines used in North America as well as literature values reported for similar studies conducted in Izmit Bay and Izmir Bay. The metal levels were also evaluated according to the enrichment factor and contamination factor analyses. The analyses revealed significant anthropogenic pollution of Hg, Pb, Zn, and As in the surficial sediments of Nemrut Bay.
KeywordsSediment Sediment quality guidelines Metal pollution Contamination factor Enrichment factor Nemrut Bay
- Altun, O., Sacan, M. T., & Erdem, A. K. (2008). Water quality and heavy metal monitoring in water and sediment samples of the Küçükçekmece Lagoon, Turkey (2002–2003). Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. doi:10.1007/s10661-008-0276-8.
- Ergin, M., Saydam, C., Basturk, O., Erdem, E., & Yoruk, R. (1991). Heavy metal concentrations in surface sediments from the two coastal inlets (Golden Horn Estuary and Izmit Bay) of the Northeastern Sea of Marmara. Chemical Geology, 91, 269–285. doi:10.1016/0009-2541(91)90004-B.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- MacDonald, D. D. (1994). Approach to the assessment of sediment quality in Florida coastal waters. Volume 1—development and evaluation of sediment quality assessment guidelines. Florida Department of Environmental Protection Office of Water Policy. Retrieved from http://www.floridadep.org/waste/quick_topics/publications/documents/sediment/volume2.pdf.
- Sarkar, K. S., Franciskovic-Bilinski, S., Bhattacharya, A., Saha, M., & Bilinski, H. (2004). Levels of elements in the surfacial estuarine sediments of the Hugli River, northeast India and their environmental implications. Environment International, 30, 1089–1098. doi:10.1016/j.envint.2003.10.009.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schropp, S. J., & Windom, H. L. (1988). A guide to the interpretation of metal concentrations in estuarine sediments. Florida Department of Environmental Protection Office of Water Policy. Retrieved from http://www.floridadep.org/water/monitoring/docs/seds/estuarine.pdf.
- Thompson, P. A., Kurias, J., & Mihok, S. (2005). Derivation and use of Sediment Qality Guidelines for ecological risk assessment of metals and radionuclides released to the environment from uranium mining and milling activities in Canada. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 110, 71–85. doi:10.1007/s10661-005-6291-0.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- UNEP (1985a). Determination of total Hg in marine sediments and suspended solids by cold vapor AAS. Reference Methods for Marine Pollution Studies, Vol 26.Google Scholar
- UNEP (1985b). Determination of total cadmium in marine sediments by flameless AAS. Reference Methods for Marine Pollution Studies, Vol 27.Google Scholar
- UNEP (1985c). Determination of total chromium in marine sediments by flameless AAS. Reference Methods for Marine Pollution Studies, Vol 31.Google Scholar
- UNEP (1985d). Determination of total lead in marine sediments by flameless AAS. Reference Methods for Marine Pollution Studies, Vol 34.Google Scholar
- Zonta, R., Botter, M., Cassin, D., Pini, R., Scattolin, M., & Zaggia, L. (2007). Sediment chemical contamination of a shallow water area close to the industrial zone of Porto Marghera (Venice Lagoon, Italy). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 55, 529–542. doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2007.09.024.CrossRefGoogle Scholar