Spectrophotometric method for the determination of chromium (VI) in water samples
- 685 Downloads
A simple and sensitive spectrophotometric method for the determination of chromium has been developed. The method is based on the diazotization of Dapsone in hydroxylamine hydrochloride medium and coupling with N-(1-Napthyl) Ethylene Diamine Dihydrochloride by electrophilic substitution to produce an intense pink azo-dye, which has absorption maximum at 540 nm. The Beer’s law is obeyed from 0.02-1.0 μg mL−1 and the molar absorptivity is 3.4854 L mol−1 cm−1. The Limits of quantification and Limit of detection of the proposed method are 0.0012 μg mL−1 and 0.0039 μg mL−1 respectively. The method has been successfully applied for the determination of chromium in water samples and the results were statistically evaluated with that of the reference method.
KeywordsChromium (VI) determination Dapsone N-(1-Napthyl) Ethylenediamine dihydrochloride Spectrophotometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). (1998). Toxicological profile for chromium. Atlanta: US Public Health Service, US Department of Health and Human Services.Google Scholar
- Balasubramanian, S., & Pugalenthi, V. (1999). Determination of total chromium in tannery waste water by inductively coupled plasma-atomic emission spectrometry, flame atomic absorption spectrometry and UV–visible spectrophotometric methods. Talanta, 50(3), 457–467. doi:10.1016/S0039-9140(99)00135-6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Michalski, R. (2004). Ion chromatography method for the determination of trace levels of chromium (VI) in Water. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 13, 73–77.Google Scholar
- Pal, B. K., Chakrabarti, A. K., & Ahmed, M. J. U. (1989). 2-(α-Pyridyl)-thioquinaldinamide (PTQA)-A novel fluorimetric reagent in inorganic trace analysis. I: The nonextractive, nonquenching fluorescent method for the determination of chromium(VI). Mikrochimica Acta, 97, 393–401. doi:10.1007/BF01242262.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Revanasiddappa, H. D., & Kiran Kumar, T. N. (2002). Rapid spectrophotometric determination of chromium with trifluoperzanine hydrochloride. Chemia Analityczna (Warsaw), 47, 311–318.Google Scholar
- Saltzman, B. E. (1952). Microdetermination of chromium with diphenylcarbazide by permanganate oxidation. Analytica Chimica Acta, 24, 1016.Google Scholar
- Suvardhan, K., Ramanaiah, S., Suresh, K., Rekha, D., Bhagan, U., Naidu, G. R. K., et al. (2005). Spectrophotometric determination of chromium in water and pharmaceutical samples using 1-naphthol. E-Journal of Chemistry, 2, 6–14.Google Scholar
- US Environmental Protection Agency. (1998). Toxicological review of trivalent chromium. Washington, DC: National Center for Environmental Assessment, Office of Research and Development.Google Scholar