A web-based decision support system for slopeland hazard warning
- First Online:
- 253 Downloads
A WebGIS decision support system for slopeland hazard warning based on real-time monitored rainfall is introduced herein. This paper presents its framework, database, processes of setting up the threshold line for debris flow triggering and the calculation algorithm implemented in the system. The web-based GIS via the Microsoft Internet Explorer is designed for analysis of areas prone to debris flows outburst and landslides during torrential rain. Its function is to provide suggestions to commander for immediate response to the possibility of slopeland hazards, and determine if pre-evacuation is necessary. The defining characteristics of the internet-based decision support system is not to automatically show the dangerous areas but acts as part of the decision process via information collection to help experts judge the prone debris flow creeks and the tendency of landslides initiation. The combination with real-time rainfall estimation by the QPESUMS radar system is suggested for further enhancement.
KeywordsLandslide Debris flow Decision support system Real-time monitoring WebGIS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, C.Y., Lin, L.Y., Yu, F.C., Lee, C.S., Tseng, C.C., & Wang, A.X. (2006). Debris flow threshold monitoring by QPESUMS. Natural Hazards.(accept)Google Scholar
- Chen, H., Chen, R.H., & Lin, M.L. (1999). Initiation of Tungmen debris flow, eastern Taiwan. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience, 5(4), 459–473.Google Scholar
- Densham, P.J., & Goodchild, F. (1989). Spatial decision support systems: A research agenda. Proceedings GIS/LIS'98, Orlando, FL., pp. 707–716.Google Scholar
- Junkhiaw, S., Sivongs, W., Sukhapunnaphan, T., & Tangtham, N. (2004). Developing flood warning system for upland watersheds of the Chao Phraya basin. 6th International Study Conferences on GEWAX in Asia and GAME, Japan: Kyoto International Community House. December, pp. 3–5.Google Scholar
- Lin, F.T., & Hsu, P.H. (2005). The development of disaster management information systems in Taiwan. International Training Program for Typhoon and Flood Disasters Reduction, National Science and Technology Center for Disaster Reduction, Mar 21–25, Taipei, Taiwan.Google Scholar
- Prastacos, P. (2002). ANFAS: A decision support system for river floods, In: Pillmann, W., & Tochtermann, K. (Eds), Proceedings of 16th International Conference: Informatics for Environmental Protection – Environmental Communication in the Information Society, Vienna University of Technology, Vol. 2, paper 120.Google Scholar