Instabilities of Hyperelastic Fiber Composites: Micromechanical Versus Numerical Analyses
- 1.1k Downloads
Macroscopic instabilities of fiber reinforced composites undergoing large deformations are studied. Analytical predictions for the onset of instability are determined by application of a new variational estimate for the behavior of hyperelastic composites. The resulting, closed-form expressions, are compared with corresponding predictions of finite element simulations. The simulations are performed with 3-D models of periodic composites with hexagonal unit cell subjected to compression along the fibers as well as to non-aligned compression. Throughout, the analytical predictions for the failures of neo-Hookean and Gent composites are in agreement with the numerical simulations. It is found that the critical stretch ratio for Gent composites is close to the one determined for neo-Hookean composites with similar volume fractions and contrasts between the phases properties. During non-aligned compression the fibers rotate and hence, for some loading directions, the compression along the fibers never reaches the level at which loss of stability may occur.
KeywordsFinite deformation Instability Bifurcation Homogenization Variational estimate Fiber composite
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)74G60 74Q15
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Biot, M.A.: Mechanics of Incremental Deformations. Wiley, New York (1965), New-York Google Scholar
- 22.Kittel, C.: Introduction to Solid State Physics, 8th edn. Wiley, New York (2004) Google Scholar
- 29.Moraleda, J., Segurado, J., LLorca, J.: Finite deformation of incompressible fiber-reinforced elastomers: a computational micromechanics approach. J. Mech. Phys. Solids (2009), doi: 10.1016/j.jmps.2009.05.007
- 32.Ogden, R.W.: Non-Linear Elastic Deformations. Dover Publications, New York (1997) Google Scholar
- 33.Ogden, R.W.: Nonlinear Elasticity and Fibrous Structure in Arterial Wall Mechanics. Lecture Notes for Summer School on Modeling and Computation in Biomechanics. Graz University of Technology, Graz (2008) Google Scholar
- 38.Rosen, B.W.: Mechanics of composite strengthening. In: Fibre Composite Materials, pp. 37–75. Am. Soc. Metals, Ohio (1965) Google Scholar