Application of pathogen surveys, disease nurseries and varietal resistance characteristics in an IPM approach for the control of wheat yellow rust
The present paper presents the rationale for the use of pathogen surveys, inoculated and non-inoculated disease nurseries and varietal resistance characteristics in an integrated approach to control wheat yellow rust in Denmark. The non-inoculated disease observation plots, which gave valuable information about yellow rust at the year, site and variety level, served as the primary sample source for the pathogen survey revealing pathogen virulence dynamics. This survey was also the main source for isolates of new pathotypes, a prerequisite for the assessment of the resistance characteristics of varieties and breeding lines in inoculated nurseries, and the postulation of race-specific resistance genes. A simple grouping of varieties into four categories with respect to resistance to the current yellow rust population proved robust, and this grouping was used as a determinant in a web-based decision support system for pesticide applications in cereals, Crop Protection On-line (CPO). The interplay between the different research and survey activities in the integrated pest management (IPM) approach demonstrated the need for a coherent and long-term involvement at all stages from plant breeding to the official variety approval system, extension service and research in disease epidemiology and resistance genetics.
KeywordsPuccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici Integrated pest management Disease resistance Pathotype
Access to high quality disease assessments from disease observation plots across multiple locations and years by S. Sindberg and colleagues, The Danish Plant Directorate, Tystofte, is greatly acknowledged, as well as valuable comments from L. N. Jørgensen, Flakkebjerg, on the Danish Pesticide Action Plan and the CPO-threshold values.
- Anonymous (2007a). The official list of varieties. The Danish Gazette for Plant Varieties, 26, 42. Retrieved October 2, 2007 from http://www.pdir.dk/Files/Filer/Virksomheder/Froe/Sortsafprovning/Nyt_Gazette/Sortsliste_2007.pdf.
- Anonymous (2007b). Vejledning i bedømmelser i Landsforsøgene. Århus: Dansk Landbrugsrådgivning, Landscentret.Google Scholar
- Bayles, R. A., Hubbard, A. J., & Slater, S. E. (2004). Yellow rust of wheat. Annual report 2003, UKPVSC, 11–20.Google Scholar
- Bruil, A. A. M., Verhaar, M. A., Vandenbosch, F., Hoogkamer, W., & Zadoks, J. C. (1989). Effect of cultivar mixtures on the wave velocity of expanding yellow stripe rust foci in winter wheat. Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science, 37(1), 75–78.Google Scholar
- Chen, X. M. (2005). Epidemiology and control of stripe rust [Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici] on wheat. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 27, 314–337.Google Scholar
- Enjalbert, J., Duan, X., Leconte, M., Hovmøller, M. S., & de Vallavieille-Pope, C. (2005). Genetic evidence of local adaptation of wheat yellow rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici) within France. Molecular Ecology, 14, 2065–2073.Google Scholar
- Eriksson, J., & Henning, E. (1896). Die Getreidenroste. Stockholm: Norstedt & Söner.Google Scholar
- Hermansen, J. E. (1968). Studies on the spread and survival of cereal rust and mildew diseases in Denmark. Dr Science thesis, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural College Copenhagen. Fresia, 8(3), 1–206.Google Scholar
- Jørgensen, L. N. (Ed.) (2006). Pesticidafprøvning 2006. DJF-rapport Markbrug 129, 136 pp.Google Scholar
- Jørgensen, L. N., Hagelskjær, L., & Nielsen, G. C. (2003). Adjusting the fungicide input in winter wheat depending on variety resistance. Proceedings of BCPC Conference on Crop Science and Technology (pp. 1115–1120). Glasgow, UK.Google Scholar
- Jørgensen, L. N., & Kudsk P. (2006). Twenty years’ experience with reduced agrochemical inputs: Effect on farm economics, water quality, biodiversity and environment. (Paper presented at the HGCA conference, Grantham UK).Google Scholar
- Manners, J. G. (1988). Puccinia striiformis, yellow rust (stripe rust) of cereals and grasses. Advanced Plant Pathology, 6, 373–387.Google Scholar
- McNeal, F. H., Konzak, C. F., Smith, E. P., Tate, W., & Russel, T. S. (1971). A uniform system for recording and processing cereal research data. US Agricultural Research Service, 42, 34–121.Google Scholar
- Priestley, R. H., Bayles, R. A., & Thomas, J. E. (1984). Identification of specific resistances against Puccinia striiformis (yellow rut) in winter wheat varieties. I. Establishment of a set of type varieties for adult plant tests. Journal of the National Institute of Agricultural Botany, 16, 469–476.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, K. (2003). Ergebnisse der Meldungen für Pflanzenschutzmittel und Wirkstoffe nach § 19 des Pflanzenschutzgesetzes für die Jahre 1999, 2000 und 2001 in Vergleich zu 1998. Nachrichtenblatt des Deutschen Pflanzenschutzdienstes, 55, 121–133.Google Scholar
- Stubbs, R. W. (1985). Stripe rust. In A. P. Roelfs, & W. R. Bushnell (Eds.) The cereal rusts volume 2: Diseases, distribution, epidemiology and control (pp. 61–101). London: Academic .Google Scholar