Scalar transport from point sources in the flow around a finite-height cylinder
This paper presents a large eddy simulation of mass transfer in the flow around a surface-mounted finite-height circular cylinder. The study was carried out for a cylinder with height-to-diameter ratio of 2.5 and a Reynolds number based on the cylinder diameter of 44000. The approach flow boundary layer had a thickness of about 10% of the cylinder height. A tracer was released at various levels upstream of the cylinder. The effect of the release position in the subsequent spreading and dilution of the plumes is analyzed. It is found that a tracer released at the top or at mid-height is entrained into the recirculation zone behind the cylinder, and therefore presents similar plume evolution in the far wake in both cases. If the tracer is released at around three-quarters of the height of the cylinder, it is not significantly entrained by the main recirculation region, leading to smaller rates of spreading of the plume. Finally, if the tracer is released near the floor, the plume is entrained by the horseshoe vortex that wraps around the cylinder, leading to a large lateral spreading of the plume, remaining always near the floor.
KeywordsLES Scalar transport Finite-height cylinder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Breuer M, Rodi W (1996) Large eddy simulation of complex turbulent flows of practical interest. In: Hirschel E (eds) Flow simulation with high performance computers II, Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, vol 52. Vieweg, Braunschweig, pp 258–274Google Scholar
- 3.Cowan IR (1997) A comparison of wind-tunnel experiments and computational simulations of dispersion in the environs of buildings. Int J Environ Pollut 8(3): 699–707Google Scholar
- 5.Donnert GD, Kappler M, Rodi W (2007) Measurement of tracer concentration in the flow around finite-height cylinders. J Turbul 8(33). doi: 10.1080/14685240701429792
- 12.Hinterberger C (2004) Dreidimensionale und tiefengemittelte Large-Eddy-Simulation von Flachwasserströmungen. PhD thesis, University of KarlsruheGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hölscher N, Niemann HJ (1987) Some aspects about the flow around a surface-mounted circular cylinder in a turbulent shear flow. In: Proceedings of the 6th symposium international turbulent shear flows, ToulouseGoogle Scholar
- 15.Kappler M (2002) Experimentelle Untersuchung der Umströmung von Kreiszylindern mit ausgeprägt dreidimensionalen Effekten. PhD thesis, University of KarlsruheGoogle Scholar
- 18.Okubo A, Levin SA (2001) Diffusion and ecological problems: modern perspectives. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 21.Pierce C (2001) Progress-variable approach for large-eddy simulation of turbulent combustion. PhD thesis, Stanford UniversityGoogle Scholar