Metacognition, Self-Regulation, and Self-Regulated Learning: Research Recommendations
- 6.1k Downloads
Much research has been conducted on metacognition, self-regulation, and self-regulated learning, but the articles in this special issue make it clear that we still have many unanswered questions. Recommendations for research include providing clear definitions of processes, identifying relevant theories, ensuring that assessments clearly reflect processes, linking processes with academic outcomes, conducting more educational developmental research, and tying processes firmly with instructional methods. Collectively, these recommendations will enhance our understanding of metacognition, self-regulation, and self-regulated learning and will lead to solid implications for educational policy and practice.
KeywordsMetacognition Self-regulation Self-regulated learning Motivation
- Bandura, A. (1986). Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Dinsmore, D. L., Alexander, P. A., & Louglin, S. M. (2008). Focusing the conceptual lens on metacognition, self-regulation, and self-regulated learning. Educational Psychology Review doi: 10.1007/s10648-008-9083-6.
- Flavell, J. H. (1985). Cognitive development (2nd. ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Fox, E., & Riconscente, M. (2008). Metacognition and self-regulation in James, Piaget, and Vygotsky. Educational Psychology Review doi: 10.1007/s10648-008-9079-2.
- Loyens, S. M. M., Magda, J., & Rikers, M. J. P. (2008). Self-directed learning in problem-based learning and its relationships with self-regulated learning. Educational Psychology Review doi: 10.1007/s10648-008-9082-7.
- Maggioni, L., & Parkinson, M. M. (2008). The role of teacher epistemic cognition, epistemic beliefs, and calibration in instruction. Educational Psychology Review. doi: 10.1007/s10648-008-9081-8.
- Winters, F. I., Greene, J. A., & Costich, C. M. (2008). Self-regulation of learning within computer-based learning environments: A critical analysis. Educational Psychology Review doi: 10.1007/s10648-008-9080-9.