Hiring Discrimination Against Pro-union Applicants: The Role of Union Density and Firm Size
We study the causal impact of revealing pro-unionism during the recruitment stage on hiring chances. To this end, we conduct a randomised field experiment in the Belgian labour market. When matched with employer and sector data, the experimentally gathered data enable us to test the heterogeneity of discrimination against pro-union applicants by the union density in the sector and the size of the firm. We find that disclosure of pro-unionism affects hiring chances in a negative way and that—in line with our expectations based on the literature—this negative impact is stronger in highly unionised sectors.
KeywordsTrade unions Union density Hiring discrimination Randomised field experiments Industrial relations
JEL ClassificationJ53 J71 C93
We thank Niels Groothaert for his excellent research assistance. In addition, we are grateful to Sabien Dobbelaere, Glenn Rayp and Walter Van Trier for their useful comments and advice.
- Ajzen, M. (2013). Belgium: Industrial relations profile. Dublin: European Industrial Relations Observatory.Google Scholar
- Cooke, W. N. (1985b). The rising toll of discrimination against union activists. Industrial Relations, 24, 421–442.Google Scholar
- Faniel, J., & Vandaele, K. (2012). Implantation syndicale et taux de syndicalisation (2000–2010). Courrier hebdomadaire, 2146.Google Scholar
- Fulton, L. (2011). Worker representation in Europe. Brussels: European Trade Union Institute.Google Scholar
- Lawler, J. J., & West, R. (1985). Impact of union-avoidance strategy in representation election. Industrial Relations, 24, 406–420.Google Scholar
- Leap, T. L., Hendrix, W. H., Cantrell, R. S., & Taylor, G. S. (1990). Discrimination against prounion job applicants. Industrial Relations, 29, 469–478.Google Scholar
- Liagre, P. (2012). The Belgian case: An outlier in union density and membership. Unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- Omey, E. (2013). Arbeid en Tewerkstelling. Ghent: Ghent University.Google Scholar
- Servais, J. M. (1977). Anti-union discrimination in the field of employment. International Labour Review, 115, 293–303.Google Scholar
- Wood, M., Hales, J., Purdon, S., Sejersen, T., & Hayllar, O. (2009). A test for racial discrimination in recruitment practice in British cities. DWP Research Reports, no. 607.Google Scholar