When is the Price Cost Margin a Safe Way to Measure Changes in Competition?
- 681 Downloads
The price cost margin (PCM) is a popular way to measure competition. Although we know that this measure is not without problems, we actually do not know how often and under which conditions a change in PCM points in the wrong direction. We use a new competition measure, the profit elasticity, which is more robust than PCM. Our empirical analysis based on Dutch data shows that when competition changes the probability that PCM points in the wrong direction increases with industry concentration.
KeywordsCompetition Profit elasticity Price cost margin Measures of competition Concentration
JEL ClassificationD43 L13
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aghion P., Bloom N., Blundell R., Griffith R., Howitt P.: Competition and innovation: An inverted U relationship. Quarterly Journal of Economics CXX(2), 701–728 (2005)Google Scholar
- Amir, R. (2002). Market structure, scale economies and industry performance, mimeo.Google Scholar
- Baily, M. N., Hulten, C., Campbell, D., Bresnahan, T. & Caves, R. (1992). Productivity dynamics in manufacturing plants. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity. Microeconomics, pp. 187–267.Google Scholar
- Boone, J., Griffith, R., & Harrison, R. (2005). Measuring competition. AIM Working Paper no. 22.Google Scholar
- Creusen, H., Minne, B., & van der Wiel, H. (2006). Competition in The Netherlands: An analysis of the period 1993-2001. CPB Document No. 136.Google Scholar
- Maliranta, M., Pajarinen, M., Rouvinen, P., & YlS-Anttila, P. (2007). Competition in Finland: Trends across business Sectors in 1994-2004. KTM Julkaisuja 13 ETLA.Google Scholar
- Reiss, P., & Wolak, F. (2007). Handbook of econometrics. Vol. 6A Elsevier Science Publishers chapter Structural econometric modeling: Rationales and examples from industrial organization.Google Scholar
- van der Wiel, H. (2010). Competition and innovation: Together a tricky rollercoaster for productivity PhD thesis Tilburg University.Google Scholar