Image of the Singapore Child
- 403 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to analyse the contents of one of the leading newspapers of Singapore in an effort to identify the public image of the children of the nation. Newspaper clippings of news/articles, pictures/photographs and advertisements featuring children below 15 years of age were collected over a one-week period and the content analysed in an attempt to find out the extent to which children in Singapore are visible and how they are portrayed in the media. While it is impossible to generalise the findings due to the small scale of this research, the findings show that the visibility of children in the media is low compared to their total presence in the population. Another interesting finding is that while the children in this study were portrayed as passive, vulnerable or a potential victim, the rights of the child were rarely mentioned.
KeywordsImage of child Singapore
- Alloway, N. (1997). Early childhood education encounters the postmodern: What do we know? What can we count as ‘true’? Australian Journal of Early Childhood, 22(2), 1–5.Google Scholar
- Berk, L. E. (2006). Child development (7th ed.). Boston: Pearson/Allyn and Bacon.Google Scholar
- Carter, M., & Curtis, D. (2003). Through the eyes of a child. Every Childhood, 9(3), 4–6.Google Scholar
- Cassandro, M. L., Hofer, F. (2004) Children and advertising in Italy, global advertising lawyers alliance. Retrieved 12th March, 2008, from http://www.gala-marketlaw.com/pdf/Italianlegal.pdf.
- Cheng, T. (2003). Singapore’s talented children. Retrieved 12th March, 2008, from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3126469.stm.
- Department of Statistics. (2008). Singapore resident population 2003–2007. Retrieved 15th April, 2008, from http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/popn/respop.pdf.
- Ebbeck, M., & Waniganayake, M. (2004). Early childhood professionals: Leading today and tomorrow. NSW: MacLennan & Petty.Google Scholar
- Family & Community Development @ eCitizen. (2004). State of families in Singapore. Retrieved 12th March, 2008, from http://fcd.ecitizen.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/3CBA6CC2-6A28-4E41-8B4A-B42945AC07EF/0/Chpt4.pdf.
- Fraser, S. (2006). Authentic childhood: Experiencing Reggio Emilia in the classroom. Scarborough, Canada: Thomson, Nelson.Google Scholar
- Jempson, M., Barry, C. (2006). The media and children’s rights, UNICEF. Retrieved 24th August, 2006, from http://www.violencestudy.org/europe-ca/PDF/The_Media_and_Children_Rights_2006.pdf.
- Korac, N., Vranjesevic, J. (2001). Invisible child: The image of the child in media contents intended for adults. Retrieved 15th April, 2008, from http://www.comminit.com/en/node/242620/348.
- Malaguzzi, L. (1994). Your image of the child: Where teaching begins. Child Care Information Exchange, 96, 52–61.Google Scholar
- Millikan, J. (2003). Reflections-Reggio Emilia principles within Australian contexts. Australia, NSW: Pademelon Press.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Community Development Youth and Sports. (2004). Singaporean children are better off: UN consultant, Singapore. Retrieved 12th March, 2008, from http://app.mcys.gov.sg/web/corp_press_story.asp?szMod=corp&szSubMod=press&qid=273.
- Ministry of Community Development Youth and Sports. (2005a). CRC Initial report. Retrieved 12th March, 2008, from http://www.mcys.gov.sg/MCDSFiles/download/CRC_Initial_Report_Full_Report_Website.pdf.
- Ministry of Community Development Youth and Sports. (2005b). Legislation & Convention Children & Young Persons Act 2001, Singapore. Retrieved 12th March, 2008, from http://app.mcys.gov.sg/web/indv_legislation.asp.
- Singapore Code of Advertising Practice. (2001). Media law and ethics in Singapore. Retrieved 12th March, 2008, from http://188.8.131.52/search?q=cache:Uj-ZUjX6NjgJ:www.medialaw.com.sg/SCAP2001.doc+singapore+code+of+advertising+practices&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3.
- Sorin, R. (2003). Research with children: A rich glimpse into the world of childhood. Australian Journal of Early Childhood, 28(1), 31–35.Google Scholar
- UNICEF. (2004). Convention on the rights of the child: What the media can do. Retrieved 12 March, 2008, from http://www.unicef.org/crc/index_30219.html.
- Zakaria, F. (2006). We all have a lot to learn. Retrieved 15 April, 2008, from http://www.fareedzakaria.com/ARTICLES/newsweek/010906.html.