Arctic Sea Fishes of Canada?
It is a daunting task to write a book review. In a few brief paragraphs, you judge the work of respected colleagues who have devoted years to painstaking data collection and analyses. A book review may be the place (but not the time) to bond with old friends with sycophantic praise or make new foes by unfair and poisonous envy! I hope to avoid both pitfalls.
The book is edited by Brian W. Coad and James D. Reist (C&R) with contributions by C&R and other specialists. It consists of introductory chapters (70 pages) followed by accounts for about 220 species and their families (>500 pages). Both editors are prominent and prolific ichthyologists and given their expertise, expectations are rightfully high.
Few authoritative fish books cover the Arctic Seas: Russia (Andriyashev 1954), Alaska (Mecklenburg et al. 2002), Greenland (Nielsen and Bertelsen 1992), Iceland (Sæmundsson 1949) and Arctic Norway (Pethon 2005). Moreover, numerous reports are available from national research institutes...
- Andriyashev AP (1954) Ryby severnykh morei SSSR [Fishes of the Northern Seas of the USSR]. Akademii Nauk SSSR, Opredeliteli po Faune SSSR 53, Izdatel'stvo Akademii nauk SSSR, Moskva-Leningrad. 566 pages (Translation, 1964, by Israel Program for Scientific Translations, Jerusalem. 617 pages)Google Scholar
- Coad BW, Reist JD (2016) Bibliography on the marine fishes of Arctic Canada. Can Manuscr Rep Fish Aquat Sci 3101:517 pages. http://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/364139.pdf Google Scholar
- Eschmeyer WN, Fricke R, Fong JD, Polack A (2010) Marine fish diversity: history of knowledge and discovery (Pisces). Zootaxa 2525:19–50Google Scholar
- Mecklenburg, CW, Lynghammar A, Johannesen E, Byrkjedal I, Christiansen JS, Dolgov AV, Karamushko OV, Mecklenburg TA, Møller PR, Steinke D, Wienerroither RM (2018) Marine Fishes of the Arctic Region. CAFF (https://www.caff.is/), Akureyri, Iceland
- Mecklenburg CW, Mecklenburg TA, Thorsteinson LK (2002) Fishes of Alaska. Amer Fish Soc, Bethesda, Maryland. xxxvii + 1037 pagesGoogle Scholar
- Nelson JS (2006) Fishes of the World, 4th Edition. John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey. xix + 601 pagesGoogle Scholar
- Nielsen JG, Bertelsen E (1992) Fisk i grønlandske farvande. Illustrations by BO Nyström, Atuakkiorfik, Nuuk, 65 p (in Danish)Google Scholar
- Pethon P (2005) Aschehougs store fiskebok – Norges fisk i farger. 5th revised edition. H. Aschehoug & Co. (W. Nygaard) A/S. 468 pages (in Norwegian)Google Scholar
- Sæmundsson B (1949) Marine Pisces. In: The zoology of Iceland. Vol 4 (72). Ejnar Munksgaard, Copenhagen and Reykjavik, 150 pagesGoogle Scholar
- Scott WB, Crossman EJ (1973) Freshwater Fishes of Canada. Fish Res Board Can Bull 184:xi + 966 pagesGoogle Scholar
- Scott WB, Scott MG (1988) Atlantic Fishes of Canada. Can Bull Fish Aquat Sci 219:xxx + 731 pagesGoogle Scholar