Erromyzon damingshanensis, a new sucker loach (Teleostei: Cypriniformes: Gastromyzontidae) from the Pearl River drainage of Guangxi, China
Erromyzon damingshanensis, a new sucker loach is described from the Pearl River drainage in Guangxi, China. The new species Erromyzon damingshanensis is distinguished from the other species of the genus in having a crescentic median lobe of the rostral fold, rostral barbels shorter than rostral fold; postlabial groove broadly interrupted medially, seven branched dorsal fin rays, 16 branched pectoral fin rays, lateral line scales 88–95, caudal peduncle depth larger than its length; body with 12 irregular bars on flank, interrupted on dorsum.
KeywordsPisces Taxonomy Hongshuihe River Erromyzon
We would like to thank Mr. Lan Jiahu for his effort in collecting the material used in this study. This work was supported by Guangxi Key Laboratory of Rare and Endangered Animal Ecology, Guangxi Normal University (15-A-02-05) and National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC 31460556).
Compliance with ethical standards
The research protocol of this study was reviewed and approved by the Internal Review Board of Guangxi Teachers Education University.
- Chen YY (1980) Systematic studies of the family Homalopteridae of China II. Classification of the fishes of the subfamily Gastromyzoninae. Acta Hydrobiol Sin 7:95–120Google Scholar
- Chu XL, Chen YR (1989) The fishes of Yunnan, China. Part I: Cyprinidae. Science Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Kottelat M (2004) On the Bornean and Chinese Protomyzon (Teleostei, Balitoridae), with descriptions of two new genera and two new species from Borneo, Vietnam and China. Ichthyol Explor Freshw 15:301–310Google Scholar
- Kottelat M (2012) Conspectus Cobitidum: an inventory of the loaches of the world (Teleostei: Cypriniformes: Cobitoidei). Raffles B Zool 26:1–199Google Scholar
- Neely DA, Conway KW, Mayden RL (2007) Erromyzon yangi, a new hillstream loach (Teleostei: Balitoridae) from the Pearl River drainage of Guangxi Province, China. Ichthyol Explor Freshw 18:97–102Google Scholar
- Yang J, Kottelat M, Yang JX, Chen XY (2012) Yaoshania and Erromyzon kalotaenia, a new genus and a new species of balitorid loaches from Guangxi, China (Teleostei: Cypriniformes). Zootaxa 3586:173–186Google Scholar