Homatula laxiclathra (Teleostei: Balitoridae), a new species of nemacheiline loach from the Yellow River drainage in Shaanxi Province, northern china
- 215 Downloads
Homatula laxiclathra, new species, is here described from the Wei-He of the Yellow River drainage in Shaanxi Province, northern China. It is similar to H. berezowskii, H. longidorsalis, and H. variegata in the shared possession of a shallower body with a uniform depth, a character distinguishing all of them from all other congeners, but differs from these three species in the width of vertical brown bars on the caudal peduncle. This new species, along with H. berezowskii, differs from H. longidorsalis, and H. variegata in head length, caudal-peduncle depth, length of the dorsal adipose creast of the caudal peduncle, body squamation, and intestinal coiling. Homatula laxiclathra and H. berezowskii are further distinct in the caudal-fin shape and interorbital width.
KeywordsHomatula laxiclathra New species Yellow River drainage Shaanxi Province
We express our thanks to X.Y. Chen and L.N. Du (KIZ) for permitting us to take digital photographs and measurements of the specimens of Homatula nanpanjiangensis, H. longidorsalis, and H. oligolepis under their care. Our thanks are also given to Z. W. Sun for her useful advices on this manuscript. This research was supported by a grant (KSCXZ-YW-0934) from the Innovation Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Bǎnǎrescu PM, Nalbant TT (1995) A generic classification of Nemacheilinae with description of two new genera (Teleostei: Cypriniformes: Cobitidae). Trav Mus Hist Nat Gr Antipa 35:429–495Google Scholar
- Ding RH, Deng QX (1990) The noemacheilinae fishes from Sichuan Province, with description of a new species I. Paracobitis, Nemacheilus and Oreias. Zool Res 11:285–290, in ChineseGoogle Scholar
- Gao XZ (1992) The fishes of Shaanxi Province, China. Shaanxi Science and Technology Press, Xi’an, pp 86–87, in ChineseGoogle Scholar
- Günther A (1896) Report on the collections of reptiles, batrachians and fishes made by Messrs. Potanin and Berezowski in the Chinese provinces Kansu and Sze-chuan. Ann Mus Zool Acad Sci St Pétersb 1:199–219Google Scholar
- Hu YT, Zhang E (2010) Homatula macrolepis, a new species of nemacheilinae loach from the upper Mekong drainage, South China (Teleostei: Balitoridae). Ichthyol Explor Freshwat 21:51–62Google Scholar
- Kottelat M (1990) Indochinese nemacheilines: a revision of nemacheiline loaches (Pisces: Cypriniformes) of Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia and southern Viet Nam. Verlag Dr. Friedrich Pfeil, München, pp 1–262Google Scholar
- Wilkinson L, Hill M, Welna JP, Birkenbeuel GK (1992) Systat for windows: statistics, version 5 edition. Systat Inc, Evanston, pp 1–750Google Scholar
- Yang JX, Chen YR, Kottelat M (1994) Subspecific differentiation of Paracobitis variegatus with comments on its zoogeography. Zool Res 15(sup):58–67Google Scholar
- Zhou W, He JC (1993) The Parocobitis fishes distributed in Erhai area, Yunnan, China (Pisces: Cobitidae). Zool Res 14:5–9, in Chinese, English summaryGoogle Scholar
- Zhu SQ (1989) The loaches of the subfamily Nemacheilinae in China (Cypriniformes: Cobitidae). Jiangsu Science and Technology, Nanjing, pp 1–150, in ChineseGoogle Scholar