A new blind loach, Oreonectes elongatus sp. nov. (Cypriniformes: Balitoridae) from Guangxi, China
- 205 Downloads
A new loach, Oreonectes elongatus sp. nov. is described based on collections from Mulun Township, Huanjiang County, Guangxi in China. It is distinguished from its congeners by the combination of the following characters: most elongate body (body depth/SL 8.62–10.68%), blind, a forked caudal fin, obvious adipose dorsal crest and ventral crest; entire body naked and de-pigmented. Although the new species has a similar distribution with O. macrolepis, it can be distinguished by scales (absent in O. elongatus vs. present in O. macrolepis), shape of snout (elongate vs. round), the opposite position of the dorsal and pelvic fins origins (behind vs. front). The new species shares the same possession of dorsal and ventral crests, a forked caudal fin, eyeless, naked body and incomplete lateral line with O. translucens, but can be distinguished from the latter by caudal fin crest (more developed and translucent in O. translucens), longer anterior nostril tube and barbel, extreme of pectoral fin reaching 2/3 of the distance between origin of pectoral and pelvic fins, more vertebrae (4 + 38–39 vs. 4 + 32).
KeywordsOreonectes elongatus sp.nov. Balitoridae New species Cavefish China
We would like to thank Tian Mingyi working in South China Research Center of Insect Diversity, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, China for kindly providing fish specimens used in the study. We also give many thanks to Jared B. Lee in University of Georgia for kindly polishing our manuscript in language. This study was run mainly by a grant (NSFC-31071884) from the National Science Foundation of China, and supported by grants (2008BAC39B06 and O529YX5105) from the National Key Technologies Research and Development Program and the Key Laboratory of the Zoological Systematics and Evolution of the Chinese Academy of Sciences as well.
- Du LN, Chen XY, Yang JX (2008) A review of the Nemacheilinae genus Oreonectes Günther with descriptions of two new species (Teleostei: Balitoridae). Zootaxa 1729:23–36Google Scholar
- Günther A (1868) Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum, vol 7. Trustees Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Kottelat M (2001) Freshwater fishes of northern Vietnam. A preliminary check-list of the fishes known or expected to occur in northern Vietnam with comments on systematics and nomenclature. Environment and Social Development Unit, East Asia and Pacific Region, The World Bank, Washington, p 46Google Scholar
- Lan JH, Yang JX, Chen YR (1995) Two new species of the subfamily Nemacheilinae from Guangxi, China (Cypriniformes: Cobitidae). Acta Zootaxon Sinica 20:366–372 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Leviton AE, Gibbes RH, Heal E, Dawson CE (1985) Standards in herpetology and ichthyology: part I. Standard symbolic codes for institutional resource collections in herpetology and ichthyology. Copeia 1985:802–832Google Scholar
- Romero A, Zhao YH, Zhang CG (2009) The hypogean fishes of China. Environ Biol Fish 86:211–278Google Scholar
- Yang Q, Wei ML, Lan JH, Yang Q (2011b) A new species of the genus Oreonectes (Balitoridae) from Guangxi, China. J Guangxi Normal University Nat Sci Ed 29(1):72–75Google Scholar
- Zhang ZL, Zhao YH, Zhang CG (2006) A new blind loach, Oreonectes translucens (Teleostei: Cypriniformes: Nemacheilinae), from Guangxi, China. Zool Stud 45(4):611–615Google Scholar
- Zheng BS (1981) Freshwater fishes of Guangxi Province. Guangxi People’s Publishers, Nanning (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhu SQ (1989) The loaches of the subfamily Nemacheilinae in China (Cypriniformes: Cobitidae). Jiangsu Science and Technology Publishing House, Nanjing, pp 22–26 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhu SQ, Cao WX (1987) The Nemacheiline fishes from Guangdong and Guangxi with descriptions of a new genus and three new species (Cypriniformes: Cobitidae). Acta Zootaxon Sinica 12:321–331Google Scholar