A new species of the genus Triplophysa (Nemacheilinae: Balitoridae), Triplophysa jianchuanensis sp. nov, from Yunnan, China
- 170 Downloads
A new loach species, named Triplophysa jianchuanensis, has been recognized in collections from Jianchuan in Dali Prefecture, Yunnan, China. Triplophysa jianchuanensis can be distinguished from the other Triplophysa species by the following combination of characteristics: smooth skin, scaleless; lateral line complete; head long (26.7–29.8% of SL); eyes large (25.9–31.0% of dorsal head length); snout shorter than postorbital length (26.9–30.1% of HL); middle of lower lip interrupted and forming a pair of furrows; lower jaw spoon-like with obtuse edge; posterior chamber of air bladder completely degenerated; intestines short, bending in zigzag-shape behind stomach; pelvic-fin tip not reaching anus; caudal fin emarginate; branched rays of dorsal fin 7; branched rays of caudal fin 16. A key to the known species of Triplophysa from the Lancangjiang River is provided.
KeywordsBalitoridae Triplophysa New species Yunnan China
This work was supported by the National Basic Research Program of China (2007CB411600), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (30730017) and the Knowledge Innovation Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (KSCX2-YW-Z-0922). We are very grateful to the anonymous reviewers for their useful suggestions. We thank GH Cui, SS Shu, J Yang, B Yang and C Yuan for collecting the specimens and Y Li for identifying the food in the fish stomach. We express our particular thanks to E Zhang, JL Yao and YF Huang in the Institute of Hydrobiology for examining the specimens of T. bleekeri.
- Ding RH (1993) Two new species of the genus Triplophysa from Western Sichuan. Acta Zootaxon Sin (China) 18:247–252 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Ding RH (1994) The fishes of Sichuan, China. Sichuan Publishing House of Science and Technology, Chengdu, pp 63–95 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Froese R, Pauly D (2009) FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication. Available from: http://www.fishbase.org,version/(04/2009).
- He DK, Chen YX, Chen YF (2006) The molecular phylogeny and biogeography of genus Triplophysa. Nat Sci Progr 16:1395–1404 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Kottelat M (1990) A revision of Nemacheilinae Loaches (Pisces: Cypriniformes) of Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia and southern Viet Nam. In: Kottelat M (ed) Indochinese Nemacheilinaes. Verlag Dr. Friedrich Pfeil, München, pp 1–262Google Scholar
- Peng SS (1995) Fishes and fish resources in Xizang, China. Agriculture Press of China, Beijing (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wu YF, Wu CZ (1991) The fishes of Qinghai-Xizang Plateau. Sichuan Publishing House of Science and Technology, Chengdu (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhu SQ (1989) The Loaches of the subfamily Nemacheilinae in China (Cypriniformes:Cobitidae). Jiangsu Science and Technology Publishing House, Nanjing (in Chinese)Google Scholar