A Comparative Description of Mating Behaviour in the Endemic Telmatherinid Fishes of Sulawesi’s Malili Lakes
- 96 Downloads
The telmatherinid fishes of the Malili Lakes, Sulawesi, Indonesia provide a new and promising system for studying the processes maintaining diversity in nature, and especially for testing the generality of the influential findings emerging from studies of other fish systems. Here we develop the telmatherinid system by providing the first detailed descriptions of mating behaviour for seven species representing both of the major Malili lakes and all three genera. The mating behaviour of all seven species can be generalized, suggesting that particular behaviours are conserved within the group. For example, male–male competition in the form of lateral fin displays and physical fighting is evident in all seven species. Males also perform a circling behaviour alongside females that they are paired with, although the size of the circle varies across species. In some species egg cannibalism and/or sneaking behaviour are also prevalent. Interspecific comparisons of mating behaviour show that habitat may play an important role in driving behavioural differences between species. Parallel intraspecific variation in use of habitat and mating behaviours is also noted for two species. This study will facilitate future behavioural and evolutionary ecology research with this system.
KeywordsTelmatherinidae Sulawesi endemic freshwater fish mating system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aarn, W.I., Kottelat, M. 1998Phylogenetic analysis of Telmatherinidae (Teleostei: Atherinomorpha) with description of Marosatherina, a new genus from SulawesiIchthyol. Explor. Freshwaters9311323Google Scholar
- Boulenger, G.A. 1897An account of the freshwater fishes collected in Celebes by Drs. P. and Sarasin FProc. Zool. Soc. London1897426429Google Scholar
- Haffner, G.D., Hehanussa, P.E., Hartoto, D. 2001The biology and physical processes of large lakes of Indonesia: Lakes Matano and TowutiMunawar, M.Hecky, R.E. eds. The Great Lakes of the World: Food-Web, Health and IntegrityBackhuys PublishersLeiden183192Google Scholar
- Kottelat, M. 1990Sailfin silversides (Pisces: Telmatherinidae) of Lakes Towuti, Mahalona and Wawontoa (Sulawesi, Indonesia) with descriptions of two new genera and two new speciesIchthyol. Explor. Freshwaters13554Google Scholar
- Kottelat, M. 1991Sailfin Silversides (Pisces: Telmatherinidae) of Lake Matano, Sulawesi, Indonesia, with descriptions of six new speciesIchthyol. Explor. Freshwaters1321344Google Scholar
- Mortez, J.A., Rogers, W. 2004An ethological analysis of the breeding behavior of the fantail darter, Etheostoma flabellareAm. Midland Nat.152140144Google Scholar
- Schluter, D. 2000The Ecology of Adaptive RadiationOxford University PressOxford288Google Scholar