International Public Preferences and Provision of Public Goods: Assessment of Passive Use Values in Large Oil Spills
- 486 Downloads
With global media reporting major environmental disasters, environmental damages linked to large oil spills may go well beyond the territorial limits of affected countries, particularly in the case of passive use values. In this analysis, we compare environmental damages linked a large oil spill off the coast of Spain using an online contingent valuation survey in three different European countries: Spain, UK, and Austria. Our results show that mean willingness to pay in Spain is about 124.37€/household, 80.87€/household in the UK, and 89.08€/household for Austria (expressed in 2009 prices). Conclusions and implications of our results suggest policy makers should consider the potential importance of passive use values in the compensation process of environmental damages caused by large international oil spills, especially within the European Union.
KeywordsOil spills Passive use values Sea pollution Europe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arrow K, Solow R, Portney P, Leamer E, Radner R, Schuman H (1993) Report of the NOAA panel of contingent valuation. Fed Reg 58(10): 4602–4614Google Scholar
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (2012) CPI inflation calculator. Available at: http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm. Accessed on 14 March 2012
- Carson RT, Mitchell RC, Hanemann WM, Koop RJ, Presser S, Ruud PA (1992) A contingent valuation study of lost passive use values resulting from the Exxon Valdez oil spill. A report to the Attorney General of the State of AlaskaGoogle Scholar
- Center for International Comparisons of Production, Income and Prices (CIC) (2011) University of Pennsylvania. Penn World Table 7.0. Available at: http://pwt.econ.upenn.edu/php_site/pwt70/pwt70_form.php. Accessed on 14 March 2012
- Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union (2012a) Population and social conditions: population. Available at: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/population/data/database. Accessed on 14 March 2012
- Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union (2012b) National accounts statistics. Available at: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/national_accounts/data/database. Accessed on 14 March 2012
- Internet World Stats (2011) Avaiable at http://www.internetworldstats.com. Accessed on 16 March 2012
- Loomis J (1988) Broadening the concept and measurement of existence value. Northeast J Agric Resour Econ 17(1): 23–29Google Scholar
- Official Journal of European Union (2000) Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy. 22 Dec 2000. Available at: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32000L0060:EN:NOT. Accessed on 16 March 2012
- Official Journal of European Union (2004) Directive 2004/35/CE of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 April 2004. 30 April 2004 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004L0035:EN:NOT. Accessed on 16 March 2012
- Van Biervliet K, Le Roy D, Nunes PALD (2005) A contingent valuation study on accidental oil spill along the Belgian coast. In: Maes F (ed) Marine resource damage assessment liability and compensation for environmental damages. Springer, The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar