Can a Focus on Breakthrough Technologies Improve the Performance of International Environmental Agreements?
In a recent paper, Barrett (Am Econ Rev 96(2):22–25, 2006) reaches the conclusion that in general the answer to the question in the title is no, except for a special case in which technology adoption involves increasing returns (network externalities). We show in this paper that a focus on the R&D phase in the development of breakthrough technologies can also increase the possibilities for cooperation.
KeywordsInternational environmental agreements Breakthrough technology
JEL ClassificationQ28 C72 F42
- Barrett S (1994) Self-enforcing international environmental agreements. Oxf Econ Pap 46: 878–894Google Scholar
- Barrett S (2003) Environment and statecraft: the stategy of environmental treaty-making. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Carraro C, Siniscalco D (1997) R&D cooperation and the stability of international environmental agreements. In: Carraro C (eds) International environmental negotiations: strategic policy issues. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, pp 71–96Google Scholar
- Cesar H, de Zeeuw A (1997) Issue linkage in global environmental problems. In: Xepapadeas A (eds) Economic policy for the environment and natural resources. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, pp 158–173Google Scholar
- Diamantoudi E, Sartzetakis E (2002) International environmental agreements—the role of foresight. mimeoGoogle Scholar
- Finus M (2003) Stability and design of international environmental agreements: the case of transboundary pollution. In: Folmer H, Tietenberg T (eds) The international yearbook of environmental and resource economics 2003/2004. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, pp 82–158Google Scholar
- Hoel M (1992) International environmental conventions: the case of uniform reductions of emissions. Environ Resour Econ 2(2): 141–159Google Scholar
- Lackner K, Grimes P, Ziock H-J (2001) Capturing carbon dioxide from air. In: Proceedings of the first national conference on carbon sequestration, Washington, DC, USAGoogle Scholar