The role of TPACK in affecting pre-service language teachers’ ICT integration during teaching practices: Indonesian context
- 90 Downloads
This study examined Indonesian pre-service language teachers’ use of information and communication technology (UICT) during teaching practices. We used technological pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK) framework to predict the UICT. The objective of the study is to determine if the TPACK is a valid model to explain Indonesian pre-service language teachers’ UICT during teaching practices. 287 pre-service language teachers from three Indonesian universities completed a 38-item survey instruments based on the TPACK and UICT. The development of the survey instruments was done mainly through content validity index (CVI) and exploratory factor analysis (EFA). Findings of the study that were obtained through partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM) informed 13 hypotheses. Overall, the TPACK components are interconnected and also reported to be a valid model to help explain Indonesian pre-service language teachers’ UICT during teaching practices.
KeywordsTPACK Pre-service language teachers UICT Teaching practices
We thank all respondents for their time and willingness to participate. Financing was fully provided by LPDP Indonesia (No. FR13102018159279).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author declares that there are no competing interests.
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualization, development, and assessment of ICT–TPCK: Advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers & Education, 52(1), 154–168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2008.07.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Arrosagaray, M., González-Peiteado, M., Pino-Juste, M., & Rodríguez-López, B. (2019). A comparative study of Spanish adult students’ attitudes to ICT in classroom, blended and distance language learning modes. Computers & Education, 134, 31–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2019.01.016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bernhardt, E. B. (2010). Teaching other languages. Educational Practices Series, 20, 1–29.Google Scholar
- Chai, C. S., Koh, J. H. L., Ho, J. H. N., & Tsai, C. C. (2012). Examining preservice teachers’ perceived knowledge of TPACK and Cyberwellness through structural equation Modelling. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 28(6), 1000–1019. https://doi.org/10.14742/ajet.807.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Creswell, J. W. (2014). A concise introduction to mixed methods research. Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Dong, Y., Chai, C. S., Sang, G. Y., Koh, J. H. L., & Tsai, C. C. (2015). Exploring the profiles and interplays of pre-service and in-service teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) in China. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 18(1), 158–169.Google Scholar
- Golonka, E. M., Bowles, A. R., Frank, V. M., Richardson, D. L., & Freynik, S. (2014). Technologies for foreign language learning: A review of technology types and their effectiveness. Computer Assisted Language Learning, 27(1), 70–105. https://doi.org/10.1080/09588221.2012.700315.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Habibi, A., Mukminin, A., Riyanto, Y., Prasojo, L. D., Sulistiyo, U., Sofwan, M., & Saudagar, F. (2018). Building an online community: Student teachers’ perceptions on the advantages of using social networking services in a teacher education program. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 19(1), 46–61.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Babin, B. J., & Black, W. C. (2010). Multivariate data analysis: A global perspective (7th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Halek, M., Holle, D., & Bartholomeyczik, S. (2017). Development and evaluation of the content validity, practicability and feasibility of the innovative dementia-oriented assessment system for challenging behaviour in residents with dementia. BMC Health Services Research, 17(1), 554 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28806934.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Joo, Y. J., Park, S., & Lim, E. (2018). Factors influencing preservice teachers’ intention to use technology: TPACK, teacher self-efficacy, and technology acceptance model. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 21(3), 48–59.Google Scholar
- Keane, T., & Keane, W. (2019). A vision of the digital future-government funding as a catalyst for 1 to 1 computing in schools. Education and Information Technologies, 1–17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-019-09988-y.
- Liu, Y., Holden, D., & Zheng, D. (2016). Analyzing students’ language learning experience in an augmented reality mobile game: An exploration of an emergent learning environment. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 228, 369–374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2018.06.016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mei, B., Brown, G. T., & Teo, T. (2018). Toward an understanding of preservice English as a foreign language teachers’ acceptance of computer-assisted language learning 2.0 in the People’s republic of China. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 56(1), 74–104. https://doi.org/10.1177/0735633117700144.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- (2018). Grafik [Active student graphic based on majors]. Retrieved from https://forlap.ristekdikti.go.id/mahasiswa/homegraphbidang.
- Mumcu, F. K., & Usluel, Y. K. (2010). A scale development study of integration of ICT into learning and teaching process according to TPACK. In A. Isman (Ed.), International educational technology conference 2010 (pp. 1419–1423). Turkey: Istanbul.Google Scholar
- Özgün-Koca, S. A., Meagher, M., & Edwards, M. T. (2010). Preservice teachers' emerging TPACK in a technology-rich methods class. The Mathematics Educator, 19(2), 10–20.Google Scholar
- Pallant, J. (2011). Survival manual. A step by step guide to data analysis using SPSS. 4th edition, Crows Nest, NSW: Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Polit, D. F., & Beck, C. T. (2009). Essentials of nursing research: Appraising evidence for nursing practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Prasojo, L. D., Habibi, A., Yaakob, M. F. M., Mukminin, A., Haswindy, S., & Sofwan, M. (2019). An explanatory sequential study on Indonesian principals' perceptions on ICT integration barriers. Electronic Journal of e-Learning, 17(1), 1–10.Google Scholar
- Scherer, R., Tondeur, J., & Siddiq, F. (2017). On the quest for validity: Testing the factor structure and measurement invariance of the technology-dimensions in the technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge (TPACK) model. Computers & Education, 112, 1–17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2017.04.012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schmidt, D. A., Baran, E., Thompson, A. D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M. J., & Shin, T. S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) the development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123–149. https://doi.org/10.1080/15391523.2009.10782544.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tai, S. J. D. (2015). From TPACK-in-action workshops to classrooms: CALL competency developed and integrated. Language Learning & Technology, 19(1), 139–164.Google Scholar
- Valtonen, T., Sointu, E., Kukkonen, J., Kontkanen, S., Lambert, M. C., & Mäkitalo-Siegl, K. (2017). TPACK updated to measure pre-service teachers’ twenty-first century skills. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 33(3).Google Scholar
- Valtonen, T., Sointu, E., Kukkonen, J., Mäkitalo, K., Hoang, N., Häkkinen, P., Järvelä, S., Näykki, P., Virtanen, A., Pöntinen, S., Kostiainen, E., & Tondeur, J. (2019). Examining pre-service teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge as evolving knowledge domains: A longitudinal approach. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcal.12353.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vinzi, V. E., Trinchera, L., & Amato, S. (2010). PLS path modeling: From foundations to recent developments and open issues for model assessment and improvement. In Handbook of partial least squares (pp. 47–82). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.Google Scholar