Usability guideline for Mobile learning applications: an update
- 80 Downloads
Mobile learning application developers have to overcome inherent limitations imposed by mobile devices in order to produce usable applications. There are usability guidelines available to assist in the design process but with technological improvements, these guidelines should be updated and extended. In this research, we proposed an updated usability guideline to assist in the design process of mobile learning applications. A systematic analysis of seventeen usability studies on mobile learning application was conducted, listed usability problems were extracted and analyzed to formulate new usability guidelines and subsequently the guidelines were updated. The validation results indicate that the updated guideline helps to achieve a higher level of usability as compared to previous guidelines.
KeywordsMobile learning Human-computer interaction Usability Usability guideline
- Abanumy, A., Al-Badi, A., Mayhew, P. (2005). E-government website accessibility: In-depth evaluation of Saudi Arabia and Oman. The Electronic Journal of E-Government, 3(3), 99–106. Retrieved from http://www.ejeg.com/issue/download.html?idArticle=48. Accessed 12 Dec 2018.
- Arain, A. A., Hussain, Z., Rizvi, W. H., & Vighio, M. S. (2016). Evaluating usability of M-learning application in the context of higher education institute. Paper presented at the International Conference on Learning and Collaboration Technologies, 259–268. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-39483-1_24.Google Scholar
- Armstrong, P., Wilkinson, B. (2016). Preliminary usability testing of ClaMApp: A classroom management app for tablets. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 28th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, 654–656. doi: https://doi.org/10.1145/3010915.3011855 Retrieved from http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3011855. Accessed 12 Dec 2018.
- Fetaji, M., & Fetaji, B. (2011). Comparing developed MLUAT (mobile learning usability attribute testing) methodology with qualitative user testing method and heuristics evaluation. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Computer Systems and Technologies, 516–523. https://doi.org/10.1145/2023607.2023694.
- Hashim, A. S., & Ahmad, W. F. W. (2012). A comparison of architectures for a usability-aware customized mobile learning management system (CMLMS). Paper presented at the 2012 Sixth UKSim/AMSS European Symposium on Computer Modeling and Simulation, 511–516. https://doi.org/10.1109/EMS.2012.63.
- Hashim, A. S., Ahmad, W. F. W., & Ahmad, R. (2011a). Mobile learning course content application as a revision tool: The effectiveness and usability. Paper presented at the 2011 international conference on pattern analysis and intelligence robotics, 2, 184–187. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPAIR.2011.5976941.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Interaction-design.org. (2018). The interaction design foundation. Retrieved from https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/a-brief-history-of-human-computer-interaction. Accessed 12 Dec 2018.
- Jailani, N., Abdullah, Z., Bakar, M. A., & Haron, H. R. (2015). Usability guidelines for developing mobile application in the construction industry. In 2015 International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Informatics (ICEEI) (pp. 411–416). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Kumar, B. A., Mohite, P. (2017). Usability study of mobile learning application in higher education context: An example from Fiji national university. Mobile learning in higher education in the asia-pacific region (pp. 607–622) Springer. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-4944-6_29.Google Scholar
- Lazar, J. (2005). Web usability: A user-centered design approach Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc. Retrieved from https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1088946. Accessed 12 Dec 2018.
- Li, Q., Wang, T., Wang, J., Li, Y. (2011). Case study of usability testing methodology on mobile learning course. doi: https://doi.org/10.1049/cp.2011.1501
- Nielsen, J. (1994). Usability inspection methods. Paper presented at the Conference Companion on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 413–414. Retrieved from http://www.idemployee.id.tue.nl/g.w.m.rauterberg/lecturenotes/0h420/nielsen.pdf. Accessed 12 Dec 2018.
- Nielsen, J. (2012). Usability 101: Introduction to usability. Retrieved from http://didattica.uniroma2.it/assets/uploads/corsi/143228/Nielsen_5_articles.doc. Accessed 12 Dec 2018.
- Sánchez, J., Flores, H., & Sáenz, M. (2008). Mobile science learning for the blind. Paper presented at the CHI'08 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in. Computing Systems, 3201–3206. https://doi.org/10.1145/1358628.1358831.
- Seong, D. S. K. (2006). Usability guidelines for designing Mobile learning portals. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Mobile Technology, Applications & Systems, 25. https://doi.org/10.1145/1292331.1292359.
- Wilson, C. (2013). User interface inspection methods: A user-centered design method Newnes. Retrieved from https://books.google.com.fj/books?id=LQ0wAAAAQBAJ&dq=User+interface+inspection+methods:+a+user-centered+design+method&lr=&source=gbs_navlinks_s. Accessed 12 Dec 2018.