Survey results on adults and cybersecurity education
- 152 Downloads
Cyberattacks and identity theft are common problems nowadays where researchers often say that humans are the weakest link the security chain. Therefore, this survey focused on analyzing the interest for adults for ‘cyber threat eduction seminars’, e.g., how to project themselves and their loved ones. Specifically, we asked questions to understand a possible audience, willingness for paying / time commitment, or fields of interest as well as background and previous training experience. The survey was conducted in late 2016 and taken by 233 participants. The results show that many are worried about cyber threats and about their children exploring the online domain. However, seminars do not seem to be a priority as many individuals were only willing to spend 1-1.5h on seminars.
KeywordsAdult education Cybersecurity Survey Training Security awareness Children
This work was funded by the University of New Haven’s Summer Research Grant.
- Abela, R. (2017). Consumer survey. https://www.netsparker.com/blog/news/consumers-web-applications-most-risk-hacked/.
- Air Force Association. (2009). Cyberpatriot national youth cyber education program. https://www.uscyberpatriot.org/home.
- American Association of Retired Persons. (2016). 2016 aarp cyber security survey of adults age 18 and older. https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/surveys_statistics/general/2016/2016-national-cyber-security-annot-res-gen.pdf.
- Bradford, L. (2017). How to start a lucrative career in cybersecurity. https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurencebradford/2017/02/27/how-to-start-a-lucrative-career-in-cybersecurity.
- Brooks, C. (2016). Career success depends on your willingness to learn. https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/9256-career-boost-learning.html.
- Concise, A C. (2017). Learn how to start a career in cybersecurity: Interviews, resources, tips. https://breakingintocybersecurity.com/.
- Enough is Enough. (2017). Internet safety 101. http://internetsafety101.org/.
- Fiegerman, S. (2017). The biggest data breaches ever. http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/technology/business/biggest-breaches-ever/index.html. Online; accessed 19 October 2017.
- Forbes Coaches Council. (2014). Changing careers? here’s whether you should return to school first. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2017/04/14/changing-careers-heres-whether-you-should-return-to-school-first/#32d7404d31fa.
- Franceschi-Bicchierai, L. (2016). The worst hacks of 2016. https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wnxkz9/the-worst-hacks-of-2016. Online; accessed 19 October 2017.
- Gibson, C. (2013). Internet safety courses teach parents dangers of digital realm. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/internet-safety-courses-teach-parents-dangers-of-digital-realm/2013/03/05/2c676aa6-7b79-11e2-9a75-dab0201670da_story.html?utm_term=.ed719cb6207e.
- Hill, M. (2016). Walmart confirms card data theft. https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/walmart-confirms-card-data-theft/. Online; accessed 19 October 2017.
- Hinduja, S., & Patchin, J. W. (2011). Summary of our cyber bullying research from 2005–2010. Retrieved on January 29.Google Scholar
- Internet Safe Education. (2017). Courses for parents. https://www.internetsafeeducation.com/courses-for-parents/.
- Jeffers, T. M. (2016). Maximizing adult learning methodologies in corporate cyber security training programs. Ph.D. thesis Utica College.Google Scholar
- Kaspersky Lab. (2016). Elderly people online: habits and concerns. https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/blog/older-people-internet/7736/.
- Kidspot.com.au. (2016). Dad horrified to find vile messages in popular game on son’s ipad. http://www.kidspot.com.au/parenting/real-life/in-the-news/dad-horrified-to-find-vile-messages-in-popular-game-on-sons-ipad.
- Krebs, B. (2017). Source: Deloitte breach affected all company email, admin accounts. https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/source-deloitte-breach-affected-all-company-email-admin-accounts/. Online; accessed 19 October 2017.
- McCoy, K. (2017). Target to pay $18.5m for 2013 data breach that affected 41 million consumers. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/05/23/target-pay-185m-2013-data-breach-affected-consumers/102063932/. Online; accessed 19 October 2017.
- Murnane, K. (2017). If you don’t know much about cybersecurity, you’re not alone. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/03/29/if-you-dont-know-much-about-cybersecurity-youre-not-alone/.
- National Cyber Security Alliance. (2017). Keeping up with generation app: Ncsa parent/teen online safety survey. https://staysafeonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Generation-App-Survey-Report-2017.pdf.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology. (2016). National initiative for cybersecurity education (nice). https://www.nist.gov/itl/applied-cybersecurity/nice.
- NSA / NSF. (2017). Gencyber summer camp. https://www.gen-cyber.com/about/.
- Olmstead, K., & Smith, A. (2017). What the public knows about cybersecurity. http://www.pewinternet.org/2017/03/22/what-the-public-knows-about-cybersecurity/.
- Phoenix, U. O. (2017). Why you should consider a career change to cybersecurity (paid content by university of phoenix). https://mashable.com/2017/05/24/career-change-cybersecurity/.
- Roberts, J. J. (2017). Home Depot data breach costs top $179 million after latest settlement. http://fortune.com/2017/03/09/home-depot-data-breach-banks/. Online; accessed 19 October 2017.
- Sheridan, K. (2016). 8 steps to building a successful cyber-security career. https://www.informationweek.com/strategic-cio/security-and-risk-strategy/8-steps-to-building-a-successful-cyber-security-career/d/d-id/1326691.
- Spafford, E. H. (2009). Cyber security: assessing our vulnerabilities and developing an effective defense, (pp. 20–33). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Symantec, N. (2015). Norton cybersecurity insights report. https://us.norton.com/norton-cybersecurity-insights-report-global.