Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Current State and Future Opportunities
- 19 Downloads
Hepatocellular carcinoma is a rising cause of morbidity and mortality in the USA and around the world. Surgical resection and liver transplantation are the preferred management strategies; however, less than 30% of patients are eligible for surgery. Stereotactic body radiation therapy is a promising local treatment option for non-surgical candidates. Local control rates between 95 and 100% have been reported at 1–2 years post-treatment, and classical radiation-induced liver disease described with conventional radiation is an unlikely complication from stereotactic radiotherapy. Enrollment in randomized trials will be essential in establishing the role of stereotactic radiation in treatment paradigms for hepatocellular carcinoma.
KeywordsStereotactic SBRT Hepatocellular carcinoma HCC Hypofractionated Radiation
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Payal D. Soni, MD has no conflict of interest. Manisha Palta, MD has received research support from Merck and Varian. She has received honorarium from Oakstone CME and UptoDate and also received consultant fees from Navigant.
- 2.Xu J. Trends in liver cancer mortality among adults aged 25 and Over in the United States, 2000–2016. In: NCHS Data Brief, no 314. Hyattsville, MD, National Center for Health Statistics, 2018; 2018.Google Scholar
- 3.Ingold JA, Reed GB, Kaplan HS, Bagshaw MA. Radiation hepatitis. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1965;93:200–208.Google Scholar
- 30.ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=randomized%2C+radiation&cond=Hepatocellular+Carcinoma&Search=Apply&recrs=g&recrs=h&recrs=i&recrs=m&age_v=&gndr=&type=&rslt=. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.
- 32.SBRT or TACE for Advanced HCC. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03338647. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.
- 33.Comparing Re-TACE Versus SABR for Post-prior-TACE Incompletely Regressed HCC: a Randomized Controlled Trial (TASABR). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/NCT02921139. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.
- 34.Comparison of SBRT and Repeat TACE for HCC (STH). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03326375. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.
- 35.Transarterial chemoembolization compared with stereotactic body radiation therapy or stereotactic ablative radiation therapy in treating patients with residual or recurrent liver cancer undergone initial transarterial chemoembolization. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02762266. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.
- 36.Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) versus trans-arterial chemoembolization (TACE) as bridge to liver transplant (SBRTvsTACE). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02182687. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.
- 37.Radiotherapy versus no intervention in adult patients with hepatocellular carcinoma not eligible for transarterial chemoembolization or ablation prior to liver transplant (RADBRI). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03172559. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.
- 38.Stereotactic body radiotherapy and microwave ablation for recurrent small hepatocellular carcinoma. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03609268. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.
- 39.Trial comparing PLA to HIGRT therapy (PROVE-HCC). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03402607. Accessed 02 Aug 2018.